Anyone have any info on Coeliac Disease?

Does anybody have any info on Ceoliac disease, its symptoms what its like to live with etc.

A friend of mine is having trouble and one of the things they suspect is this - and are waiting on an appointment with their GP.

A friend of mine had it, she had the squits and vomiting and stomach cramps. She lost loads of weight as she couldn't keep food down, or process it. As you probably know it is an intolerance to the gluten in wheat. Some people cannot eat any products at all that have wheat flour in them, others can but have to watch their intake. Gluten free flour is available but it tastes foul. If you do have it then you will need to sort out with a dietician what you can and can't eat, but basically processed foods contain a lot of wheat products. I hope you'll be ok and sorted out soon.

A friend of mine has got it & can't drink beer/lager,but finds cider is ok for him

that's cos beers and lagers are generally made from wheat, whereas cider is made from apples.

If my gastro doc's diagnosis is correct, then I'm not going to be able to enjoy the odd real ale any more. :(

Gluten is also found in Rye and Barley, so no rye bread, barley in soups/drinks etc. Some people also react to oats too, so worth staying off those initially too.

I'm also awaiting a gastroscopy, but my consultant is fairly convinced, but as i'm currently pregnant, there's nothing they can do for about a year as I'd have to start eating gluten again for at least 3 months prior to testing (I've been gluten free for over a year).

Processed food as said above is pretty much out, the best way to start eating gluten free is to base meals around meat and vegetables, (unless you are veggie of course!) and then add potatoes or rice as your carbs. If you get a positive diagnosis then you should get a good amount of bread and things on prescription, which does help, of course, until then all the major supermarkets sell 'free from' bread (tastes permanently stale), crackers, flour (its not THAT bad), cakes, snacks etc. And if you are careful and read the ingredients on everything else you normally eat you can often find 'normal' things that are gluten free too.

My son's girlfriend has it and I have to be incredibly vigilant when cooking for her, gluten can show up in the unlikeliest places. Even some brands of soy sauce contain it, which you really wouldn't expect all. You have to be careful about cross-contamination with cooking utensils too, for instance her toast has to be made under the (just-washed) grill and never in the toaster, because the toaster contains crumbs. Wooden spoons and chopping boards are out too, they can harbour traces of gluten even after scrubbing.

I have it, once you get used to what products you can and cant have its pretty easy. Most large stores have there own free from range and alot of products are labled if they are gluten free.

Symptoms Im aware of are un able to put on weight, soft poos, stomache ache, it can also cause you to have bad achne (spelling)

Thats true TheBlueDragon, I'm pretty used to it now, and shopping is done in a fraction of the time that it used to take. Home cooking is jsut as easy as it used to be, the only gluten in the house is my hubby's bread and flour (and maybe the odd treat for him;)), everything else is gluten free, so i don't have to think about it. My dad is also gluten free, so going to my parents for a meal is nice and relaxed and safe too.

Once you get used to it, it really does become habit, and easy.

Its eating out thats often the biggest problem :(

Archived