Anyone have any info on Coeliac Disease?

I agree!!

I think its about the the medical profession started talking to each other on many issues!

My friend has a pre-paid prescription certificate (about £100 per year) and she gets all her gluten free stuff on prescription, as well as any meds she needs.

forkbender - my friend (who is the same person samstar999 refers to in her post) also finds eating out a real problem. She phones ahead to ask whether there is a gluten-free alternative on the menu. Frequently, after lengthy explanations, something can be sorted, however, on more than one occasion she's been served a ploughman's for example, with a huge wedge of bread! There seems to be little awareness of Coeliac disease in the catering industry.

What is even more staggering, is that she will have to go into hospital at some point for an op and take her own food!! Apparently the hospital cannot cater for her needs. :loopy: Unbelievable, you'd think of all places, this would be one where she could have a gluten free meal.

The Walnut Club has gluten free alternatives on its menu.

Hi Suffy :wave::

It is a real nightmare sometimes for Coeliac people to eat out. Our mutual friend has had to be very insistant at times and explain it is a medical condition, not some kind of faddy diet. There are places that are brilliant though - but agreed it has made eating out with her a bit more of an effort.

And it is TOTALLY outrageous that she has to take her own food to hospital!

My friend has a pre-paid prescription certificate (about £100 per year) and she gets all her gluten free stuff on prescription, as well as any meds she needs.

I have one of those anyway for all the other meds I have to take (though at the mo I have a nice free maternity one :D) so it will cost me no more per year as it does now :)

I had great problems recently at Calow hospital, the ward staff were fabulous, but the kitchens were useless! Despite sending a GF menu twice a day, in 5 days I think I got 2 meals that I ordered, for the rest I was either sent something random, or nothing at all and I'd end up with a jacket spud from the normal food choices!!

At least they sent a GF menu, but what was the point when they never sent what i asked for...

all that stress on top of being a brand new mother, after major surgery and fighting (and failing) to breastfeed, it really didn't help and really shouldn't have happened!

I have one of those anyway for all the other meds I have to take (though at the mo I have a nice free maternity one :D) so it will cost me no more per year as it does now :)

I had great problems recently at Calow hospital, the ward staff were fabulous, but the kitchens were useless! Despite sending a GF menu twice a day, in 5 days I think I got 2 meals that I ordered, for the rest I was either sent something random, or nothing at all and I'd end up with a jacket spud from the normal food choices!!

At least they sent a GF menu, but what was the point when they never sent what i asked for...

all that stress on top of being a brand new mother, after major surgery and fighting (and failing) to breastfeed, it really didn't help and really shouldn't have happened!

You poor thing. The hospital where my friend will be admitted (Hallamshire) apparently can't/won't cater for gulten free.

• 1 year later...

I have recently being diagnosed with coeliac disease. I have found the genius bread and asda free from fruit teacakes to be nice tasting. I am waiting for some foods to be delivered to the chemist that my dr has prescribed. I live in firth park, does anyone know of any pubs or restaurants this side of sheffield that serve gluten free food.

I have recently being diagnosed with coeliac disease. I have found the genius bread and asda free from fruit teacakes to be nice tasting. I am waiting for some foods to be delivered to the chemist that my dr has prescribed. I live in firth park, does anyone know of any pubs or restaurants this side of sheffield that serve gluten free food.

22a's on Norfolk Row (opposite the Catholic Cathedral) do "GF", (And will specify what's GF for you on the menu)

Blue moon Cafe by the Anglican Cathedral also have GF food and cakes to choose from.

Both establishments do utterly fabulous food! :D

hope that helps?

Archived