Cannabis the killer

I do not think it can be denied that there is a large proportion of society that use Cannabis as an escape and excuse not to live the life they have been given.

However - how many people know of friends family aquainances who hold 'high power' jobs and frequently enjoy a spliff?

Moon

Cannabis is just as damaging as alcohol, which can also make mental illness worse, i think in many cases it is dependent upon what sort of mental illness it is, panic attacks and anxiety can be eased by cannabis because you need a calming effect, but things like depression and schizophrenia are probably exacerbated, because if you suffer from them your reality is already distorted in some way.

Originally posted by elf

Cannabis is just as damaging as alcohol, which can also make mental illness worse, i think in many cases it is dependent upon what sort of mental illness it is, panic attacks and anxiety can be eased by cannabis because you need a calming effect, but things like depression and schizophrenia are probably exacerbated, because if you suffer from them your reality is already distorted in some way.

It can help depression. I've seen it quite often.

I feel like a parrot:lol:

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

The evidence shows that Driving after a spliff or two is safer than when driving sober which is safer than driving after a couple of drinks, which is safer than driving and talking on the phone (even a hands free).

How can drinking after a couple of pints be safer than talking on a HANDS FREE phone? Talking on hands free is no more dangerous than talking to a passenger, in fact, given that there is no temptation to look at the person or be involved in any sort of physical contact, I'd say talking on a hands free phone was safer than talking to a passenger. What next, bans on passengers?

Originally posted by t020

How can drinking after a couple of pints be safer than talking on a HANDS FREE phone? Talking on hands free is no more dangerous than talking to a passenger, in fact, given that there is no temptation to look at the person or be involved in any sort of physical contact, I'd say talking on a hands free phone was safer than talking to a passenger. What next, bans on passengers?

I would imagine it has something to do with the fact that talking to someone on your left and talking to someone on a telephone (whethere hands free or handheld) are two quite distinct tasks - one where talking is not the point of the activity. Talking on a telephone is very hard work for the brain because it requires a great deal of imagination to conjure up a living person from the disembodied voice.

The Transport Research Labs who carried their own tests for Direct Line and posted the results have a crappy website you are welcome to try if you want (http://www.trl.co.uk)

I couldn't get any joy so found this excerpt from the press release:

The test results showed:

It took hand-held mobile phone users half a second longer to react than normal, and a third of a second longer to react compared to when they were legally drunk.

Participants in the study stated that they found it easier to drive drunk than when using a mobile phone, whether hand-held or hands-free.

Drivers using either a hands-free or hand-held mobile phone significantly missed more road warning signs than when drunk.

Drivers were less able to maintain a constant speed and found it more difficult to keep a safe distance from the car in front, if they were using a phone.

It's not conclusive, but it is strongly indicative. It is quite clear that the safest option, in any event, is to not answer (this is why we have voicemail right?) and not make calls whilst actually driving the car.

But you have a point - should we also legislate against angry drivers, tired drivers, tearful drivers as well as distracting passengers, wailing children and sniping parents-in-law...?

No we have a law that says you must be in control of your vehicle. That should be enough.

Originally posted by waxy chuff

My housemate smokes the equivalent of at least an eighth a day. He doesn't go out, hasn't had sex for years, doesn't have any motivation, hates his parents.

Now then, which is cause and which is effect and most importantly how do you tell the difference?

Overindulgence leads to procrastination at least. But dependence, I'm certain, can lead to mental health problems.

Overindulgence (an excess) of anything leads to problems by definition else it would simply be termed indulgence.

Why do you assert (i'm not necessarily disagreeing with you here) that dependence can lead to mental health problems. I would argue that complete dependence (on anything - routine, drug, other people) itself is a small mental health problem certainly, but beyond that the evidence is sketchy at best.

Archived