Why wont ppl employ me

might sound s bit coy but you could try volunteering, specially if you want something particular, you can go to Voluntary Action Sheffield, 69 Division St, opposite the city hall to find out more.

IT won't help you get casual work, but in the long term it gets you a reference, shows determination and committment and ingenuity, and its much easier to get work if you are working (even if unpaid).

You can do admin, office, creative, community, etc, there used to be arts and music stuff, you get your expenses back too. Also try Millennium Volunteers, I prefer the Rotherham project but there's one in Sheffield too.

In the end it give you a chance to prove you have a brain in your head, can apply yourself, are personable, reliable etc,. Don;t take any notice of the grumpy gits, they don't seem to have anything positive or useful to say anyway.

And if you think its how you look that puts people off, make sure you smile, make good eye contact and use appropriate body language (sorry can't find a better way to phrase that) you can look like Genghis Khan or PRincess Di but the signals you give are more important than your appearance.

Also apply for loads of work, do lots of interviews, most people bugger up the first few at least, once you get the hang of doing the applications and interviews you can expect to start getting results. ITs crappy but thats life. You can ask for feedback with some jobs you don't get, but be prepared to hear things you may not like. At least you can address any changes you think they are right to suggest.

Committment - you are putting your music first - why shouldn't you? Students put study first, I put my family first, it shouldn't be a problem except as a practical issue of whether they can do it or not. Try for flexi hours office work, voluntary sector work is often very flexible and likely to really value whatever you have to offer, look for part-time stuff, just to get started.

Best of luck anyway, "don't let the ******** grind you down" as they say. Hope you find something that suits you before too long.

Originally posted by graceomally

might sound s bit coy but you could try volunteering, specially if you want something particular, you can go to Voluntary Action Sheffield, 69 Division St, opposite the city hall to find out more.

there is nothing wrong with volunteering!! its not just old fuddy duddy type people...well it mostly is, but not all;)

definitely not mostly, more people under 30 volunteer than over 50 - last time I looked anyway!

Its just at the first suggestion people often think its a bit of a barmy idea to work for no money or else they think its not something people like them do.

Fact is almost every type of person volunteers, from 16 to 60+, bored or busy, fit or failing, and they all get plenty out of it.

ITs a seriously practical and effective way to get into paid work or work related training or study. Millennium Volunteers in Rotherham (The Guardian Centre, S65 1HY) is the best place you can go if you are under 25, or there's one in sheffield but I don't have the details.

• 4 weeks later...

My brother is having the same problem. He's got no piercings, but has long hair. I'm not convinced this is the problem (in Cambridge) but more that he's very 'cards on the table' about which hours he can't work.

Get through the interview first, then tell them about the time constraints before you accept (give them the chance to withdraw the offer). If they've made up their mind to have you already, they're more likely to be flexible than run through the whole rigmarole of choosing somebody else.

• 4 weeks later...

I totally agree Rosh! I was just looking through the replies before I put exactly what you have already written!

As for the original question, I think some people have been a bit harsh, you can dress and look however you want, however, if you go against the tide, you need to be ready for problems to arise.

Maybe you do need to smarten yourself up a little and depending on what you're going for, depends on why you're not getting the job. If you want to work for a very reputable company meeting clients etc. they won't employ you! It's a sad fact, but if someone went in with less piercings, no stretched ears etc. and wearing a suit, they would pick them over someone who looks like how you described yourself.

You also need to be more committed. I know it's difficult, I'm disabled and I'm at college so finding something that is ok for me not being abled to walk/stand around and outside college hours is very difficult.

Keep going and be ready to negotiate your hours a little even if it means you not getting off as easy. It's how the world works - I'm 16 and I know that!

Finally, have you thought about looking for work where people who have the same style as you work. There are quite a few places in town or alternatively, you might be ok at Ant Marketing - they are always recruiting and you won't be meeting clients, just using the phones (telesales/telemarketing) they've got flexi hours and will probably take you on.

Be aware though, I've just left because I hated it! You don't always get a happy welcome when you phone people!

Good luck, and perhaps on your next CV try checking the spelling! ('companys' is actually 'companies')

Archived