Would you admit to being middle class?

What class do you consider yourself to be?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. What class do you consider yourself to be?

• Upper class
    • Middle class
    • Working class
    • Classless
    • Just show me the results/.

I think your class IS essentially about where you came from. Your background and early years make you who you are, what make you YOU. Everything in later years is grafted on to that original model. It's to do with mores and how you look at life, your accent and your manners.

Money does not equate to class at all, unless you are talking of the landed, inherited wealth of the aristocracy. Your education and your job have an influence on what class you are, but the main factor is your background.

That's what I'd say. I essentially agree with Depoix's post above.

StarSparkle

well if I am to agree with you I must be Upper Middle Class, having been to a private school up to the age of eleven, and having had a "nanny" which wasn't the "norm" then, and my mother having had a succession of what were called "maids" - please don't anyone bully me because of this, it happened to me - and therefore not my decision:)

Well at least I now know my place, consigned to the underclass because I've retired. :D

But that's just plain silly - everybody with enough NI contributions becomes a 'state pensioner' if they live long enough.

Hmm.. I'm about to retire, but will be of independent means due to inherited wealth - but it was made in property dealings.

I'm not sure where that puts me....

So now you say that middle class simply doesn't exist, just different types of working class and the upper class.

In which case you are just playing word games, you can call the different types of working class, working and middle to make a distinction between unskilled/skilled or manual/non-manual. You can distinguish by education, income, manners or typical leisure pursuits. It might be useful sometimes to simply consider whether one works for a living or not, but not in this discussion.

then consider this, i have a friend who for twenty years as lived with a duchess,i wont mention the name,she being of the aristocracy has all the attributes to allow herself to be called upperclass,he however is a cockney lad ,a plasterer,he refuses to marry her saying he is happy being who he is,yet he can and does have full use of the privillages her rank allows,where does this put him in your scale of things ?

then consider this, i have a friend who for twenty years as lived with a duchess,i wont mention the name,she being of the aristocracy has all the attributes to allow herself to be called upperclass,he however is a cockney lad ,a plasterer,he refuses to marry her saying he is happy being who he is,yet he can and does have full use of the privillages her rank allows,where does this put him in your scale of things ?

a working class lover?

Sorry about the slow reply - I've been offline all day!

The middle class consists of:

Socioeconomic group A: higher managerial, administrative or professional

Socioeconomic group B: intermediate managerial, administrative or professional

Socioeconomic group C1: supervisory or clerical, junior managerial, administrative or professional

Working class consists of:

Socioeconomic group C2: skilled manual workers

Socioeconomic group D: semi and unskilled manual workers

Socioeconomic group E: state pensioners or widows (no other earner), casual or lowest grade workers

I am C1 by that definition. I have a degree but my job doesn't require any qualifications. My salary is much less than the average... (around 15k). I bought a cheap house for myself because I could no longer afford rented accomodation and I struggle to pay bills... internet is my one luxury.. no holidays or cars for me. I do not feel middle class and have no interest in defining or seeing myself as anything other than working class. I am a wage slave. The people I resent are the ruling class, the top 5% of the population who don't need to work and live off their investments. These are the people who are getting richer at our expense. Middle class as a concept is part of an attempt to divide us and distract us from our real enemies.

well if I am to agree with you I must be Upper Middle Class, having been to a private school up to the age of eleven, and having had a "nanny" which wasn't the "norm" then, and my mother having had a succession of what were called "maids" - please don't anyone bully me because of this, it happened to me - and therefore not my decision:)

Sounds like it, hun! :thumbsup:

StarSparkle

A lucky man? :D

StarSparkle

I hate Chavs and love buying expensive, healthy food so guess that means im middle class cos of many of my opinions and beliefs but im not as middle class as some e.g Was bought up by single mum in small house in Essex, am in debt, don't own house etc

Tbh, I don't believe in class. everything is a spectrum. Class, Race, Sex. There is no black and white, just different shades.

Archived