Would you admit to being middle class?

What class do you consider yourself to be?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. What class do you consider yourself to be?

• Upper class
    • Middle class
    • Working class
    • Classless
    • Just show me the results/.

Other peoples definitions definitely do include money amongst a range of other things, not having to work for a living being part of it as well.

'Other people' do, you're right but what they are trying to do is map something tangible and measureable like earnings and post code etc, onto things which are intangible like attitudes, tastes and motivations.

The reason they want to do this is so they can predict their behaviour, which is useful if they're trying to win votes, lending them money or trying to sell them TVs. Obviously they can't just ask what class they are, so they have to find a different way of approximating the same thing.

'Other people' do, you're right but what they are trying to do is map something tangible and measureable like earnings and post code etc, onto things which are intangible like attitudes, tastes and motivations.

The reason they want to do this is so they can predict their behaviour, which is useful if they're trying to win votes, lending them money or trying to sell them TVs. Obviously they can't just ask what class they are, so they have to find a different way of approximating the same thing.

As Tricky says it's alot more complicated than just money etc I grew up in a family where both parents were in low skilled jobs but one had middle class attitudes and the other working class. I went on to uni but due to suffering a number of pregnancy losses over a period of about 10 years I was never able to establish a significant career. I have lived in a house which was paid for outright through to a refuge due to domestic violence. Where does that leave me apart from being confused- the government would have an hard time classifying me:D

I also know of numerous other people with similar stories to tell due to life circumstances.

I remember long ago, when I heard that "Peter Rabbit" had been banned from London schools' libraries as "too middle class".

Think about it! His mother is a sole parent; his father was executed for stealing cabbages; when he gets stuck in Mr.McGregor's garden, and escapes with the loss of his clothes, he has to go round draped in a handkerchief.....

Just how middle class can you get?

To an extent, it can be state of mind.

I worked with a (very politically active) women back in the days of the miners strike, she came from a mining town in the North East, and described her background as working class, but because she had become university educated and now had a mortgage, she supposed she must be 'middle class' and was racked by guilt about it and felt like a traitor to her 'class' :loopy:

Archived