Would you admit to being middle class?

What class do you consider yourself to be?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. What class do you consider yourself to be?

• Upper class
    • Middle class
    • Working class
    • Classless
    • Just show me the results/.

Definition of middle class..mortgaged to the hilt

up to your neck in debt

overdrawn credit cards

car on tick

furniture on tick

even food on tick

wow i wanna be middle class

Well our car is paid for, we only have a mortgage for just over half of the value of our property. I owe nothing on my gold card. I have never bought an item of furniture on the tick.. so what does that make me??

Lets leave it at that eh,lets just say,in my line of work,i meet them all middle wannabes upwards,funnily enough not many working class,and the people who cry the most ,yep you got it the wannabes dont preach about class to me you never know one day somebody like me may be knocking on your door,and before you start shouting and bawling that in no way is a threat just a fact of life in my business.Thats it iv finished on this thread

If you're knocking on my door it's either because you're lost or you want to sell me double glazing. If you're lost I can help you, if it's double glazing you can save yourself the time by not bothering.

Maybe your line of work is lending you a false impression, maybe the true middle class are the ones who's doors you never darken?

Definition of middle class..mortgaged to the hilt

up to your neck in debt

overdrawn credit cards

car on tick

furniture on tick

even food on tick

wow i wanna be middle class

Actually, its not. People with middle class attitudes are more likely to have old but decent furniture, eat organic food (not on tick), shop around for the best interest rates on credit cards and use them sensibly. They often don't have showy homes, but are more likely to have understated taste, or shabby chic. Oh, and books.

The type of people you refer to aren't defined by class! Anyone who believes material possessions=class obviously has none. :loopy:

Where do you get all this bile from? I have to agree with Cyclone in the above post.

Rotherhammer has some serious, heavy chips on his shoulders. I suspect he's the sort who resents the company executives where (perhaps I should say if) he works having comfortable offices and nice cars, because from behind his sweeping brush he will have no concept of the pressures and challenges of managerial work.

It's the kind of inverted snobbery that feeds the 'them and us' mindset which in turn fed the strikes of the 70s.

He epitomises class envy.

Lets leave it at that eh,lets just say,in my line of work,i meet them all middle wannabes upwards,funnily enough not many working class,and the people who cry the most ,yep you got it the wannabes dont preach about class to me you never know one day somebody like me may be knocking on your door,and before you start shouting and bawling that in no way is a threat just a fact of life in my business.Thats it iv finished on this thread
Ah, the fog clears a little. I suspect the doors you knock on are more upper working class Rotherhammer - but to you they will appear to be middle class, because from down where you are in the food chain it might seem that way.

Nobody can be 'classless' in this country I'm afraid. You are constantly being weighed and judged accordingly. Remember that next time you think about getting out the socially perilous silver plated napkin rings for your next dinner party ;)

This became apparent to me, ironically, when I lived in Aus and observed the nuances between being a truly socially mobile society and what we have, which, however subtly or not, sets people into categories depending on where they come from, what their parents do, where they were educated etc.

I still don't know what class I'm in though. Both parents left school at 14, one, an immigrant, came to the UK in the 60s, the other left the factory she'd been working in and joined the family hairdressing business. After that they were small business owners. Within my family, I was the first person in my generation to go to Polytechnic and get a degree - as a solicitor I definately didn't feel I could call myself working class but now I no longer work in that profession...? I live in Ranmoor, I don't work in a traditional sense (no, I'm not a high class prostitute :hihi:), I have a Masters degree... All these factors lead people to judge the social strata in which I am set. But when I go home to visit my folks, they still live in a two up two down with no central heating and an "out house" on the wrong side of town :huh:

Archived