Would you admit to being middle class?

What class do you consider yourself to be?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. What class do you consider yourself to be?

• Upper class
    • Middle class
    • Working class
    • Classless
    • Just show me the results/.

Evolving and embryonic (sub)cultures, and the continued growth of a noveau riche class in this country, have rendered histrocial tools, such as The Registrar General class scale, somehwat obsolete. As such, tradtional class definition and evaluation is a lot harder than say 40 years ago. I am not middle class in the 6-bedroom-detached-house-with-Mercedes-in-the-garage sense, but I am certainly not working class either. In fact, I would baulk at the notion of being tagged working class.

The traditional 3 tier class system in this country has been severely fragmented, with the evolution of an 'underclass' and a widening of classical social groups to incorporate a far wider range of people to each.

I am still not sure where I fit in to this grand scheme though. Possibly "new Middle class" as one of the broadsheets tagged a few years back...?

The debate about middle class always causes me to think I am suffering from an identity crisis.

My family came from toxteth in liverpool, dad never ranked higher than a sergeant in the army.

Hoewever, I own my own house have a salary over 50k and therefore (apparently)should be middle class.

I certainly don't feel middle class nor would I want to be one of a type of class that my upbringing led me to be a bit scared and resentlful of.

I'm well educated, but consider myself to be working class. Went to uni, but I'm still paying for it. I didn't recieve any money off my parents to go. You don't have to be middle class to be a uni student.

Indeed, my O/H put himself through Uni.. I come from a mainly middle class family, and I have never been ashamed By the fact, A lot of middle class familys have got where they are through dammed hard work..

I wouldn't know where to put myself!

I have more academic qualifications than my parents, and am in a higher paid job. Judging from where they started, they would have probably been working class.

However, they have their own house, two cars, have two holidays a year and plenty of days out, so I would say that's more middle class.

Where does that leave me?!! And does it really matter anyway? :D

I don't know to be honest. I certainly feel like I grew up in a working class family. Both my parents were in relatively low-skilled, low-paid factory work. There were times when they really struggled to make ends meet. But then I went to university, which means I'm now working in a skilled, office-based job - however I have learnt that this doesn't necessarily mean you earn loads, as I'm still on a below-average salary. I have however been able to buy a house, though the mortgage does take up about 35% of my salary, so I don't have much spare once that's paid for - so most months I am just struggling by.

I know at university it really used to do my nut in when I heard certain people saying they were working class. Especially when I knew that their mum and dad had both been to university, worked in professional jobs, earned a decent salary between them, had a huge house and never really struggled for money. They seemed to define working class as anyone who works - which is total rubbish if you ask me. Pulp's Common People summed that up for me!

Going to uni makes you middle class by definition.

Have you seen any of this year's big brother? There are a number of people on there who might disprove that! I guess by admitting to watching Big Brother I am definitely not middle class - I did go to Uni though. Where does that leave me? :)

Archived