Would you admit to being middle class?

What class do you consider yourself to be?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. What class do you consider yourself to be?

• Upper class
    • Middle class
    • Working class
    • Classless
    • Just show me the results/.

I don't know to be honest. I certainly feel like I grew up in a working class family. Both my parents were in relatively low-skilled, low-paid factory work. There were times when they really struggled to make ends meet. But then I went to university, which means I'm now working in a skilled, office-based job - however I have learnt that this doesn't necessarily mean you earn loads, as I'm still on a below-average salary. I have however been able to buy a house, though the mortgage does take up about 35% of my salary, so I don't have much spare once that's paid for - so most months I am just struggling by.

I know at university it really used to do my knut in when I heard certain people saying they were working class. Especially when I knew that their mum and dad had both been to university, worked in professional jobs, earned a decent salary between them, had a huge house and never really struggled for money. They seemed to define working class as anyone who works - which is total rubbish if you ask me. Pulp's Common People summed that up for me!

Exactly! I was the first person in my family to go to university. I lived on a council estate until I was ten with my mother and grandparents.

My mother was desperate to be middle class and when she married my stepfather, was the biggest Hyacinth Bouquet I've ever met (I still remember embarrassing her by saying why've we got out the tablecloth and plates we never eat off?) She was dying to dissassociate herself with the street that I'd grown up on. My nan incidently still lives there.

When I got to university I did feel different to most people. Most people were, "oh god, I'm really skint, I'd better phone daddy to send me another grand." For me that was "damn, I'm skint, I better up my hours at work or get a second job."

Now although I'm in what people perceive to be a middle class profession, I earn an average wage, live alone so have higher expenses and was out of work on and off for three years so have debt :( which i'm slowly paying off so I'm not well off by any means. So I am well and truly back to being working class.

Have you seen any of this year's big brother? There are a number of people on there who might disprove that! I guess by admitting to watching Big Brother I am definitely not middle class - I did go to Uni though. Where does that leave me? :)

The way I see it - working class is about being in or aspiring to manual labour type jobs, skilled or unskilled, jobs which may require skills and aptitude but not education. Machining for instance is highly skilled but the job requirements don't include Maths A Level.

Those who choose to go to university are, for the vast majority, setting their sights on a different range of jobs where they add value through their intelligence and learning.

It's difficult for me to explain but by choosing to go to university, you have turned your back on being working class. However you view yourself, people will now view you as middle class.

...So I am well and truly back to being working class.

No you're not, you're a teacher, people will ask you to be a referee on their job application forms. Society looks up to you now and that all means that whatever your financial situation, you are very very middle class.

Your mum may have come from a working class background but she was middle class in values if she aspired for you to do 'A' levels, get a degree, do teacher training and hence end up with a well paid job with security for life.

No you're not, you're a teacher, people will ask you to be a referee on their job application forms. Society looks up to you now and that all means that whatever your financial situation, you are very very middle class.

Your mum may have come from a working class background but she was middle class in values if she aspired for you to do 'A' levels, get a degree, do teacher training and hence end up with a well paid job with security for life.

Aw honey! How I wish that was true! Society now sees me as something to berate and belittle.

And Woopee! I've signed a few passport forms! I don't get asked anymore to be a referee for job applications although i did all the time in my previous job.

And don't get me started on my mum... University was a way of me leaving home and her getting rid of me. but that's a different thread altogether.... I financed all my living from the age of 16.

Apparently 50% of the population fall into the socioeconomic categories that compose the 'middle class'. However there seems to be a desperate phobia about admitting that you are middle class. Would you stand up and be counted for your middle-classness???

what exactly is the socioeconomic category that composes 'middle class'? i.e. what does it consist of/how is it defined?

i am university educated, i have what i think is generally regarded as a middle-class profession, but then again i work for a living, i've spent most of my life working in 'working class' employment, and i'm of working class parents/grandparents. personally i consider myself working class, and proud of it.

Archived