Who drank the last pint in Tinsley Working Mens Club?

borick

Don't know that one but I'll have a little wager that Arthur Pickering wasn't far away.

Arthur was a great snooker player by the way and his dad worked there as the doorman for many years. Anyone who tried to get in without their book had no chance.

I was sponsored for membership of Tinsley club back in'66 by my (then future) father in law. It was all done correctly under the scrutinizing eye of Albert Burdon. It was like a High Court hearing.

Finally got my membership & affiliation card pressed in the hand, it was all very nerve wracking those days, but finally I could have a little chuckle to myself 'cos I was only 17 at the time!

Another doorman used to be my neighbour, Harold Moore. Used to natter with him over the garden fence, and in the evening, nearly get to blows if I'd forgotten my card.

Arthur Pickering, Albert Burden, Jimmy Prince, Jerry Skelton (probably one of the best but most boring snooker players ever!) Club trips, coaches would be lined up all the way down Sheffield road!! Packet of money, drink and some spangles! 5 Full size snooker tables, massive concert room, great atmosphere! I don't know who had the pint but i ended up dismantling and taking away the snooker table for a buyer in Bawtry, very strange day that was!!:(

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived