The Ocelot Cafe

zeke

When Ivor and Roy bought the Ocelote we were all mates and we all helped them clear it out and get it running, we almost lived there and had some great nights,they later had a restaurant on Cambridge street called THE NAMELESS because none of us could come up with a name,Ivor also had Mammas pizza on norfolk street but did a runner to Menorca where he still lives.We were in business together there ,had a chipshop called Mr D'sbut Ivor got up to his old tricks and we were lucky to get out with the clothes on our back by we I mean Barry Barton's ex wife and her husband,when he had the Ocelote he was married to Daphne.We still keep in touch ,he and myself. when he had the Monty we had some great party times, a group called O'HARA's pLAYBOYS were often there,He's doing very nicely in Menorca. As for the Sidewalk, it was owned by Harry Hart,he also had the one in pond street bus station. His "twit"of a stepson, David was a very close friend of mine,he was spoiled by his mum Anne ,but never got on with Harry, I was with him earlier on the night he shot himself,he was not the person he came over as, he was a very sad and lonely young man

When Ivor and Roy bought the Ocelote we were all mates and we all helped them clear it out and get it running, we almost lived there and had some great nights,they later had a restaurant on Cambridge street called THE NAMELESS because none of us could come up with a name,Ivor also had Mammas pizza on norfolk street but did a runner to Menorca where he still lives.We were in business together there ,had a chipshop called Mr D'sbut Ivor got up to his old tricks and we were lucky to get out with the clothes on our back by we I mean Barry Barton's ex wife and her husband,when he had the Ocelote he was married to Daphne.We still keep in touch ,he and myself. when he had the Monty we had some great party times, a group called O'HARA's pLAYBOYS were often there,He's doing very nicely in Menorca. As for the Sidewalk, it was owned by Harry Hart,he also had the one in pond street bus station. His "twit"of a stepson, David was a very close friend of mine,he was spoiled by his mum Anne ,but never got on with Harry, I was with him earlier on the night he shot himself,he was not the person he came over as, he was a very sad and lonely young man

Did David's father die in a car crash? I know that his will made David a wealthy guy, but why didn't the proceeds go to his mother? The Plumtree Cafe couldn't have sold for that much in those days, where did the reputed £80K come from?

Davids dad Earnest died of cancer when David was quite young, most of his money went to Anne, but also to David, I think Anne had started to see Harry about that time so maybe that's where the 80k came from,the Snelson kids and I new David when he was growing up,Fred Snelson had a string of TV shopsanother friend was pete Weston, who's dad had all the news agents at the stations,they all lived then in the Ecclesall road area

Did he ever manage to make any money off his own bat? He had the garage on Attercliffe Common and the cafe/restaurant at the bottom of The Moor, I can't ever remember him doing any actual work. I could always see him running The Penny Farthing, it would really have suited him.

I didn't mean to argue about the place of his death, but everyone I know, who knew him, are convinced that he died at The Ladybower.

The house they had was at Longline, not far fromLadybower, but as i had taken David home that night because he was too drunk to drive, we went to his Mum andHarry's house where David lived,Istayed about an hour talking to him,then left, i was living in at Fiveways at the time, got a phone call few hours later to say he had shot himself

The house they had was at Longline, not far fromLadybower, but as i had taken David home that night because he was too drunk to drive, we went to his Mum andHarry's house where David lived,Istayed about an hour talking to him,then left, i was living in at Fiveways at the time, got a phone call few hours later to say he had shot himself

Which house on Long Line was it? Not being funny, but I drive up and down it that often that it does interest me. I'm sure that you would have done your best to attempt to save his life, I heard that he had a nasty illness (won't say further), so perhaps he was destined to die young.

What happened to Harry and his mum by the way? I recall that she had a sandwich shop on Infirmary Road donkeys years ago, my mum is still with us and I was born before David.

sorry crooksie but can't remember exact house but it had a large conservatory, Davids coffin was laid out there and Anne asked if we would like to go in to say goodbye, we did but I could not look,stayed there about 5 mins and thanked her,he was in a white coffin ,white suit with a hankerchief over his face,really sick making

Archived