Appalling Sheffield Clubs

Robbie Loving

Originally posted by xafier

hey, thanks for that nice insult there Robbie :D wtf you on about tax dodger? I buy a pair of shoes or trousers and i pay tax on it same as you do, same as i pay tax on every other thing I buy like you!

anyways, as for student nights, well the students have only been here a month, all the clubs etc are trying to get new business... you cant really blame them can you?

Tax dodging, ie you don't pay tax when you actually go out and earn some money, instead of the loans you get given!!

and im not blaming them one bit for having a student night, and people are mentioning profit margins, but why cant anyone BUT student attend these nights, surely if it was to do with profit margins hen the would have le 7 lads in, who would spend a fair amount of money!!

as for not letting us in cause we didnt have NUS cards, it hasnt stopped them previous times we have actually got in the club!!

and furthermore, there no indication on the tickets it was a "student" night only

you didnt need a NUS to buy them, and it stated it nowhere on the ticket!! so how are people to know,

Students don't generally mix well with locals when drink is involved. So when the majority of business is coming from students on a particular night, it's obvious who's going to lose out.

Every student city has student nights, but to hear some on here you'd think it was an infrigement of human rights or something. The ticketing situation at the Leadmill sounds like a farce, mind.

Originally posted by Albert Tross

More than likely they might have turned you away because you were 7 lads.

I've had simialr in the past.

"sorry lads,theres too many men in"

"Sorry lads, it's ladies night"

Etc etc when you know rampantly it isnt.

ahhhhh but this is where studentt nights come in to efftect

it is not unsual for say a group of 7 lads to go somewhere, in fact it could possibly be more, cause you get halls, houses, all of same gender and they go together!!! so that would not be an excuse!!

but to hear some on here you'd think it was an infrigement of human rights or something. [/b]

The law states than licensed premises owners can refuse to admit anyone they feel like, without notice, even if you you have a ticket for something. They have this right as license holders which means they dcan refuse anyone admission, and are not obliged to even offer a reason, just say "not tonight lads", or whatever.

I agree with Greenback and you have to admit you soon started on the students as been tex dodgers etc. Sounds like a good idea keeping you apart really....

(again Leadmills ticketting needs sorting so there are no expectations of getting in in the first place).

Interestingly this doesn't happen anywhere in Leeds. I used to go to all the student nights there and have never been asked for NUS or saw signs that it was student only.

well i know of certain people who actually got in leadmill last night who was not students!! so its obvious there not checking for NUS!!

to be honest, yes they are "tax dodging" but i would never hold that against them, in fact........ most of my mates are actually students, i have absoluetly no problem with them at all, because they are building up to something they want to achieve!!

but to turn somebody away for not being a student is quite awful to be honest

tax dodging? you mean they don't get an income so don't pay income tax - I'm sure if you didn't have an income you wouldn't either!

On a more clubby note though, it amazes me that all these nearly identical student nights can possibly keep going and make a profit - wouldn't some variety in club nights draw in a few more people rather than a zillion student / school disco / other lowest common denominator nights?

Originally posted by goldenfleece

The law states than licensed premises owners can refuse to admit anyone they feel like, without notice, even if you you have a ticket for something. They have this right as license holders which means they dcan refuse anyone admission, and are not obliged to even offer a reason, just say "not tonight lads", or whatever.

Not strictly true. It's the premises that are licensed. They can actually refuse to SERVE anyone - licensing law is the only area of law where you can refuse to serve someone without any justification required - but whether they can refuse entry, even if they then subsequently refuse to serve, without a justifiable reason has never been challenged.

So, for instance, on a licensed premise, children under 18 are allowed in (Im sure Kirky will correct me since its about 6 years since I did my NLC) as long as they have a substantial meal. You can also serve them a "long" drink but not spirits if having with meal.

Some licensed premises can apply for parts of the pub to be child zones where the above rules dont apply and children are allowed in until 9.30 pm but it can be quite a complicated process as you have to mark it on plans and ensure access to toilets etc. Some new builds places (Brewsters etc) do that with this in mind.

Archived