Bacon family in Attercliffe 20's, 30's and 40's

Hi i am wondering if any one can remember a family who lived at 60 Chippenigham street for about twenty years. My Grandfather Harold Bacon grew up there with his sisters and brothers, Bill, Edie, Florrie, Doris and Joe. Their father was called Ralph. I am not sure what their mtoehrs name was.

When their mother died the children were put into an orphanage. Bill lost his leg in the orphanage and went on to sell new papers outside sheffield station until his death in about 1960.

What orpahange would have been the likely one they were in?

And does any one remember this family?

It seems like they didn't excist as i can't even find records of some of them!

Thanks for any help!

Katy

• 8 months later...

Kathy

Recently joined The Sheffield Forum and came across your query.

There was a Bacon family two doors away from us on Attercliffe Road. The father and his three children.

The father had lost part of his arm (they said in WW1) and he had a hook on the stub which he then hooked over the handlebars of his bike. He road to work everyday.

Two of his children's names I can remember are Joe and Freda.

I am talking aboutthe early 1940's. Joe and Freda were teenagers.

Their house number would have been #85 or #77. I cannot remember which way the numbers went.

Hope this is of help. Margaret

Hi

I wonder if these two burials are relevent.

BACON Emily Stringfellow 10 Nov 1926 23m dau of Ralph 240 Shirland Lane/12 Herries R Sheffield YA78gp Tinsley Park Cemetery

BACON William Arthur 17 Oct 1912 23m son of Ralph 11 Bessemer Sq Attercliffe D2019c Attercliffe Municipal Cem.

Tuppie

Archived