Gay Pride in Sheffield?

OUTSIDERS? can you explain what you mean.

I'm potentially going to become very offended and call everyone a bigot who doesn't agree with my views

Put your claws away.

What he means is "outsiders" as in people from Hull, I presume he is having a go at Fuel.

Some of the posts on this thread are just plain stupid and ignorant, be ashamed people, be very ashamed. I have been deeply shocked at the level of hostility and bigotry towards the good people of Hull. They are just people like you and me; if you cut them do they not bleed?

That is why it is important to have a Hull pride event in Sheffield. The point of a Hull pride event is make a clear statement to Hullophobes and people who post crap on here that we are proud to be who we are, to love where we love and that we expect the same rights, repsect and protection in law as everyone else. Oh, and that we also have a sense oh humour and know how to party.

Non-Hull life is celebrated every day, in every newspaper, magazine, TV/radio show, corner shop, hospital corridor, by men and women, gays and heterosexuals. Is it really such a big matter if for one day in the year, we as a coastal community stand up and say we are proud to be who we are?

In the past most Hull pride events have taken place in Hull for logistical reasons, but I feel that this thread has demonstrated the need to raise awareness and challenge preconceptions further afield.

Count me in for any event.

Some of the posts on this thread are just plain stupid and ignorant, be ashamed people, be very ashamed. I have been deeply shocked at the level of hostility and bigotry towards the good people of Hull. They are just people like you and me; if you cut them do they not bleed?

That is why it is important to have a Hull pride event in Sheffield. The point of a Hull pride event is make a clear statement to Hullophobes and people who post crap on here that we are proud to be who we are, to love where we love and that we expect the same rights, repsect and protection in law as everyone else. Oh, and that we also have a sense oh humour and know how to party.

Non-Hull life is celebrated every day, in every newspaper, magazine, TV/radio show, corner shop, hospital corridor, by men and women, gays and heterosexuals. Is it really such a big matter if for one day in the year, we as a coastal community stand up and say we are proud to be who we are?

In the past most Hull pride events have taken place in Hull for logistical reasons, but I feel that this thread has demonstrated the need to raise awareness and challenge preconceptions further afield.

Count me in for any event.

Here we go again, blah blah blah. :rolleyes: It's a nice compliment that you have to use and edit my last post, thank you. By the way I think Hull is great, love visiting The Deep.

Here we go again, blah blah blah. :rolleyes: It's a nice compliment that you have to use and edit my last post, thank you.

They do say that imitation is the greatest form of flattery. Though it might just have been laziness.

Here's a list of famous people from Hull. is it the most abject list of any city in Britain? More should be done I think.

They do say that imitation is the greatest form of flattery. Though it might just have been laziness.

Here's a list of famous people from Hull. is it the most abject list of any city in Britain? More should be done I think.

Just looked at the website for Hull Pride 2007, it looked great. The scene in Hull looks OK and I must say one of the bar boys in Polar Bear look very cute. :love:

Just looked at the website for Hull Pride 2007, it looked great. The scene in Hull looks OK and I must say one of the bar boys in Polar Bear look very cute. :love:

Can't see them, have you got a link? Most of the pictures were of some bloke blowing large soapy bubbles. Is this a particularly gay thing to do?

Can't see them, have you got a link? Most of the pictures were of some bloke blowing large soapy bubbles. Is this a particularly gay thing to do?

Gay men do like blowing on things, normally their egoes :hihi:

I went to the Polar Bear Bar website. Spoke to a friend about our bank holiday plans and suggested that we give Hull a try, don't want to do Manchester this year.

For now just steering away from the rights and wrongs of the Gay Pride and what it means....... just thought I'd let you know the event in Doncaster on Sunday was a massive success.

Despite the weather the crowd was well in excess of 1,000 (this was outdoors - there were a good few hundred more in the surrounding bars) and was a mix of gay and straight people and families. It was never intended to be "in your face" and for that reason there wasn't a parade - what there was was 6+ hours of live music and entertainment and a really great market - again a mix of Pride merchandise and info stalls as well as everyday market stalls selling a range of goods.

The original debate was about Sheffield and why no Pride there and you may ask this question as I'm sure Sheffield has a larger LGBT community than Doncaster - but what made the difference was the support the Doncaster group managed to get - both in cash and in kind - and no not just from Doncaster Council.

Visitors on the day came from all over South and West Yorkshire and feedback from regular Pride goers was that it was well organised, well attended and better than some of the others locally.... now this isn't about competition and I for one hope Sheffield can succeed in getting the 2008 South Yorkshire Pride off the ground - BUT Doncaster WILL be hosting a Pride again next year, no matter what Sheffield do and have already set about planning.

One straight couple said to me - are we ok to be here - we're not gay but this is such an amazing event.....?

To me that says it all....

Archived