Gay Pride in Sheffield?

For now just steering away from the rights and wrongs of the Gay Pride and what it means....... just thought I'd let you know the event in Doncaster on Sunday was a massive success.

Despite the weather the crowd was well in excess of 1,000 (this was outdoors - there were a good few hundred more in the surrounding bars) and was a mix of gay and straight people and families. It was never intended to be "in your face" and for that reason there wasn't a parade - what there was was 6+ hours of live music and entertainment and a really great market - again a mix of Pride merchandise and info stalls as well as everyday market stalls selling a range of goods.

The original debate was about Sheffield and why no Pride there and you may ask this question as I'm sure Sheffield has a larger LGBT community than Doncaster - but what made the difference was the support the Doncaster group managed to get - both in cash and in kind - and no not just from Doncaster Council.

Visitors on the day came from all over South and West Yorkshire and feedback from regular Pride goers was that it was well organised, well attended and better than some of the others locally.... now this isn't about competition and I for one hope Sheffield can succeed in getting the 2008 South Yorkshire Pride off the ground - BUT Doncaster WILL be hosting a Pride again next year, no matter what Sheffield do and have already set about planning.

One straight couple said to me - are we ok to be here - we're not gay but this is such an amazing event.....?

To me that says it all....

Fantastic and well done. Sounds like everyone had a good day, both gay and straight. :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

The Manchester one was also a success:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1014/1014817_a_party_to_be_proud_of_.html

The Big Weekend, with its centrepiece carnival parade, drew thousands of visitors into the city centre to watch the fun, frills and frolics.

A shame that Sheffield doesn't seem to want to encourage tourism.

As i've stated in previous posts.

Gay people have come a long way in regards to the way we're treat by the mjaority etc but there's still a lot to be done is the idea of walking around town holding my partners hand just a pipedream? I know I wouldnt dream of it now as i'd get a good kicking

It's a great idea.

The Gay Pride events in Brighton and Edinburgh are a blast even if you're straight.

A Sheffield Pride would be a positive thing for the GLB community in the city and the surrounding area.

Why not we have chinese new year celebrations. So hey why not something happening in the city centre. Being straight I would not be interested in attending but its something else to advertise this great city of ours.

Archived