Gay Pride in Sheffield?

Can I just put the council funding rumours into perspective - we are not receiving financial support from the City Council, they have supported us in kind in some areas but apart from that we are raising money ourselves through funding bids, events etc.

If you want to check out what we're up to at the moment go to http://www.southyorkshirepride.co.uk

Ta X

Sounds like an excellent idea. I've been meaning to go to the Manchester ones with my gay friends for a few years now and never got round to paying for a band (which I would assume some of the funds would come from?). Would mean I got to go home to my bed too instead of another hotel for the night!

a genuine question, but why on earth does being gay have to do with bars and nightclubs?, i can understand this more if you are quite young, but surely there are thousands of gay people who lead basically quiet lives or just stay in and watch eastenders. Tbh, it seems a bit like the SWP being seen as representing the left, all shouting and histrionics, they don't. Surely the gay community is more diverse than a load of clubbers.

• 3 weeks later...

Just been to the latest monthly Pride Open Meeting tonight, and a lot has been achieved in the necessary groundwork for organising the event which is confirmed and set in stone for SATURDAY 7TH JUNE. Details such as the main stage line-up and venue for the event have been sorted, but there is pleny more help needed in terms of support and volunteering both beforehand on the day. See the Pride website for details, at: http://www.southyorkshirepride.co.uk

Open Meetings will be held on a Monday night each month (The date for the Feb one is awaiting confirmation), and in addition there are frequent Committee meetings (Committee members ONLY). Again look at the website for details re. Open Meetings and for enquiries email: team@southyorkshirepride.co.uk

I heard about the sheffield pride and am hoping to be able to help out in any small way i can- and i just came on here to say congratulations to those who have got the act together and are sorting it out. Having just found this thread, I am bemused and dismayed to find having read all though it that there are a few gnarled old trolling bigots who have persisted in plaguing this thread with miserable homophobic guttersniping... for nearly 2 years... what a joke. Why dont you just crawl off and leave us alone!!

Nicely proving the point that there's still work to gbe doen until we get full acceptance not just in law but in people's way of thinking. And till people's attitudes match the statute books, it cant hurt to have the occasional jolly partty festival to cheer people up and show the positive side.

Up the Pridescateers!

Hurray!!

I heard about the sheffield pride and am hoping to be able to help out in any small way i can- and i just came on here to say congratulations to those who have got the act together and are sorting it out. Having just found this thread, I am bemused and dismayed to find having read all though it that there are a few gnarled old trolling bigots who have persisted in plaguing this thread with miserable homophobic guttersniping... for nearly 2 years... what a joke. Why dont you just crawl off and leave us alone!!

Nicely proving the point that there's still work to gbe doen until we get full acceptance not just in law but in people's way of thinking. And till people's attitudes match the statute books, it cant hurt to have the occasional jolly partty festival to cheer people up and show the positive side.

Up the Pridescateers!

Hurray!!

Its called debate, and having opinions different to your own and repecting others opinions

Called tolerance I believe

yes true but you put on evidence of gays harassing a strait person cus of there sexuality they remove it unless it was me that fogot to post it :roll:

It was completely irrelevant to this thread and so merely a lame attempt at trolling.

but ''gay'' people are accepted into society and have been for years so why the need to parade?? why do you need to celebrate your sexuality? do ''hetrosexual'' people go round holding banners saying '' look at me i'm straight lets all celebrate'' why is that there has to be that need to be accepted when you already are?

these are genuine questions by the way, i am not being condiscending in anyway at all!

I agree with richjob in his post #106 and to elaborate further.....

To me, a gay pride parade/march/event is a mult-level event. It is a political event as well as a celebration and can even be a tourist attraction! It's not just about gay people celebrating sexuality and equality, it's about EVERYONE celebrating together! It's also about raising public awareness of oppression, discrimination and prejudices, such as homophobia and heterosexism. One reason many people feel the need to 'come out' to family and friends and/or to celebrate their homosexuality in public, by way of some kind of gay pride event, is to try to raise awareness of these political issues (and there's no rule to say that a political event can't be fun at the same time!).

Pride is not just about "being accepted into society" either - aka 'tolerated' - the thing is, British culture and society is geared towards heterosexuality and any one individual is automatically presumed to be 'straight', until otherwise stated, and then follows the prejudice and oppression. This is heterosexism. 'Coming out' and pride events are ways of fighting for equality as well as ways of raising awareness, highlighting and fighting against oppression and prejudice inherent and incipient in our society. The end result is hopefully that attitudes are changed.

SEE THIS LINK for articles containing definitions of heterosexism etc. and interesting related articles. (I know it's an American link, but the information is still relevant to this country, even if some of the statistics aren't.)

re- trolling bigots.

Thank you for demonstrating that you clearly know who you are!! lol. I am just puzzled at why some forummers who clearly dont like gay people or the idea of a gay event persistetly check a topic like this and keep on trolling. There doesnt seem to be much debate, just a load of nonsense.

Holding any kind of community event can lift the spirits of local people, plus pride events are an important way of shwoing that gay people exist, and are just as varied and weird/ normal as any other cross section of people.

Archived