Old Wash Houses

tara

Didnt the shepherd family have something to do with the pigs were they on that little gennel across from swings- back of river.

bad memories of that gennel when i was about 8 karen green and i were nearly abducted by a man in a red van. we ran very fast back to her house and went to attercliffe police station to report it.

That goose wasnt the kelly's goose- the goose belonged to a little old lady named lilly who lived across from wincobank school.

I think the kelly's lived on vauxhall.

Do you remember a family named wilcox on lower standon.

Edited by tara

I had 2 aunties who lived on Standon Road, Aunt Ethel who bought a pair of semii's who's roofs had been burned out and stood empty for years, she dids both up , lived in 1 and rented the other to Auntie Doris, who had a daughter Mary, who now lives in Scotland, Ethels surname was Wollen Doris was Franks. Ayone remember them

these definately lived on standon when i was there anyway.

Sidney and june wilcox.

I remember they could never go out to play always had to go to bed very early. well june did anyway.

also did anyone know the Ballingers off either jedburg or jordine.

they were a large family- pauline, iris and john- cant remember the rest.

rita eagan, and someone called leonard who lived in a shop near standon.

jacqueline and james stretch.

probably be before anyones time on here.

My cousin lives on jordine i think but i havent seen him for years.

he lived at pitsmoor in the early days that little rd off the right hand side of catherine st.

Tara,

I remember one of the Ballingers. He was a man in his late fifties around 73/74. Do you remember when the council decided to build houses for the elderly [and "problem families"] on what was Maycock's Field [just off Jedburgh Street and Fife Street leading up to Hinde House? Well, myself and two mates were absolutely furious that we would lose "our" field, so we decided on a campaign of vandalism which would hopefully dissuade the workmen and council from continuing the project. We smashed windows, set off dumper trucks, and on one occasion pushed over a mobile lavatotry whilst it was occupied by an unfortunate workman. Ballinger was the watchman employed to keep an eye on the site in the evening, and our sworn enemy. He never succeeded in catching us in the act of [below the age of criminal responsibility] hurling huge lumps of putty through windows etc. Our "Direct Action" failed, but we had a brief reign of terror. One of the mates involved is now [genuinely] a senior officer in South Yorks Police. So, yes, I remember Ballinger with his little black book that never contained the names of the elusive Timo and his fellow "varmints", as we were known.

Im trying to think if the feild you are talking about is the back end of my favourite field.

the end we went in as kids was on edge of left hand side of merton lane going down and edged down that first turning left off merton.

I presume the back of the field would bring you out at top of fife st.

there were garages at the merton lane end and a lot further up there were big tips of rubble and what we use to call treasure tips

we use to find jewelry and all sorts . (not sand tips)

I felt like doing what you did when they knocked our houses down.

it was years and years before anything was built on the land at bottom of newman we could have stayed there a lot longer. But i suppose in the long run it wouldn't be practical to still live in a back to back lol.

As a kid there was loads of fields at wincobank but its been very overly developed now.its took the whole character away.

another place that was all fields when i was a kid was the top of tansley street. now you cant see for new housing estates.

i think the only bit of greenery left there is the one that was mentioned in another thread below the church at back of the vicarage.

I can remember walking along Jedburgh Street towards Newman Road to go to school. There was a gennel on fife Street, that led through towards Newman Road. Is it still there?

I can also remember some old Victorian houses being demolished on Jedburgh Street, as I was pinned up against the wall of one of them by a runaway alsation dog. Were these the back to back houses you are mentioning?

Tara, I think it is the same field,

Stevo, I bet you were pinned to the wall by that wretched German Shepherd owned by the Tandy family [perfectly respectable people, I might add but the dog often got loose on Jedburgh and chased kids on bikes etc].

• 5 months later...

re: dr peter james wynne, you were right to believe that he originated from southern ireland he actually came from a town called tralee in county kerry he moved to england after studying medicane in dublin. Peter lived with my mother from the early seventies to the mid eighties just before his death, to which they had 4 children eldest now being 31 who followed her fathers footsteps and is now a doctor. anyone remembering my mum Elizabeth Clarke please reply

I am delighted to read your post Clarkie. Dr Wynne was a very fine man indeed. It is nice to have a little more background info on him. I fondly remember how he would look at me, over half-moon specs, addressing me as 'Timotee' [Timothy]. I hope your memories of him are good too. All the very best to you!