Old Wash Houses

tara

timo, thanks for your responce, i have many memories of Dr Wynne and stories i could tell. i notice from an earlier posting of yours that you are 43, did you attend school in the wincobank area? if so, you may know my brother David who is around your age, as for me i'm a lttle older.

Clarkie,

I know of the Clarke family, and probably did come across your brother, but I am afraid that the memory is hazy to say the least. This is unusual for me, as I usually have a decent memory.

I did attend school in the Wincobank area. I went to Wincobank, Concord Middle [shiregreen], and South Yorkshire's equivalent to Colditz; Hinde House [run by Untersturmbannfuhrer Edwards]. Nowadays, I live with my wife in Southport, and lecture in Higher Ed. I think fondly of my old Wincobank days. Indeed, they are often the landscape of my dreams. I am often roaming through Woolley Woods, as if it was 1973 again. Happy, innocent days!

• 1 month later...

Whe I was a kid my mother, auntie and grandmother all use to go to Upperthorpe washouse. They were dropped off at 6.00am, when it opened and were picked up or left it there for one of the family to pick up later. My mother would then be back home to get me up and off to junior school for 8.00am. Once after leaving the washed clothes there to be picked up they were stolen. The police called and took the information and we did not hear anything for about a fortnight. They called back and took my mother to the road opposite Crookesmoor school were they had arrested a women for stealing cloths. My mother came out saying that the house was absolutley full of bags of clothing she had stolen.

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by clarkie

timo, thanks for your responce, i have many memories of Dr Wynne and stories i could tell. i notice from an earlier posting of yours that you are 43, did you attend school in the wincobank area? if so, you may know my brother David who is around your age, as for me i'm a lttle older.

The wonderful Doctor Wynne.

Our GP for so many years when I moved back to the area after leaving Nether Edge I called him to get on his books - thank goodness he was still practising.

I remember the gossip when he left his wife - Wincobank was on fire for all the wrong reasons.

The poor man was castigated by so many who had no room to call him.

God Bless Doctor Wynne - he was a truly wonderful human being.

Cazzer,

Sorry, I don't remember Martin. I was a pupil from 74 to 78.

Windmillgal,

I recall the scandal as a young lad around dear Dr Wynne. How right you are to say that he was unfairly castigated. Both my parents and paternal grandparents took no notice of the 'tittle tattle' and continued to be registered at his surgery. Unbelievably [by today's standards] some people actually changed doctor because of the doctor's 'shameful' behaviour. Who were they to judge? Who truly knows what goes on in someone else's marriage?

Like you, my memories of Dr Wynne are golden.