Music shop on Chapel Walk

gillmarx

Originally posted by owdlad

Philip Cann, The music man is the shop you are thinking of.;)

You could go down stairs into their record department, and sit in one of the soundproofed booths and listen to a whole side of an LP if you wanted.

thought that was vallances???

Two things I rmember most about Cannes. late 60's

I used to walk up Chapel Walk past the shop every morning to catch the 95 to Broomhill and in the Window was a Black Gibson Les Paul with Gold fittings (Guitar). I was 15 and earned £2-19/11d a week. The Guitar must have been around £400 - £500. I actually thought I could save up and buy it (How we Dream).

Downstairs were the soundproof record booths were you could get the assistants to put an LP on and listen to it with the intenetion of buying it, FOOLS. Buy it ,what with, after my mother had taken £2-10 shillings for board all I had left was 9/11d to last me the week and that included bus fares to work. If the fair was on at Woodhouse I could blow that in one night on the Speedway, Waltzer and a packet of Parkdrive and a packet of Polos to hide the exhaled evidence from my mum.

I went in to buy a Medicine Head album. As I was looking for it a Billie Holliday song was playing over the PA. On a whim, I bought one of her albums instead. I Never looked back. It was a life changing moment.

The Medicine Head album by the way, was called "Dark Side of the Moon"

• 3 years later...

Archived