The Admiral Rodney

slimsid2000

This is the pub which is to blame for my addiction to Rioja wine. My wife and I went in around 1999 and had a bottle of 1997 Campo Viejo Rioja wine with our meal. This was wine that did exactly what it said on the tin. The tasting notes described the wine as having the smell of a cigar box and Christmas (believe me, the vanilla overtones in the warmth of the wine made one think of such things).

The next time we went we ordered another bottle but this time it was 1998. It was nice, but not quite as nice as 1997. Then later on, we had a bottle of 1999 which was a totally different drink altogether - nowhere near as nice as the 1997 and 1998. But, my interest in Rioja had begun.

As for the food, it's okay - a little expensive I guess - but it has been consistently 'okay' the times I've been (probably 10 visits in 8 years).

There are worse places just as there are definitely, better places.

Me and the g/f have been a couple of times recently (last couple of months), food is OK, but the menu is limited and we won't be going back as it was full of ****** up local yobs last time we went.

The Admiral Rodney is my favourite pub to dine in. I'm not a big eater so the menu is extensive enough for me - steaks, salads, chicken dishes, curry, gammon, sausages, pies and much more. In fact their gammon is consistently the best I've had from a handful of pubs, including more expensive ones.

The clientele is usually made up of mainly diners and a few drinkers of age late 20s upwards. I've never seen any local jobs, although there was once a young chav-ish couple having a meal!

It's fairly pricey, but my girlfriend and I have always been pleased with the quality. The only complaint has been that the Sunday lunch appears to be simply reheated if you order it on Sunday evening, but that's almost to be expectd anyway.

This is the pub which is to blame for my addiction to Rioja wine. My wife and I went in around 1999 and had a bottle of 1997 Campo Viejo Rioja wine with our meal. This was wine that did exactly what it said on the tin. The tasting notes described the wine as having the smell of a cigar box and Christmas (believe me, the vanilla overtones in the warmth of the wine made one think of such things).

The next time we went we ordered another bottle but this time it was 1998. It was nice, but not quite as nice as 1997. Then later on, we had a bottle of 1999 which was a totally different drink altogether - nowhere near as nice as the 1997 and 1998. But, my interest in Rioja had begun.

As for the food, it's okay - a little expensive I guess - but it has been consistently 'okay' the times I've been (probably 10 visits in 8 years).

There are worse places just as there are definitely, better places.

Campo Viejo Rioja.........:love::love::love:

If your ever lucky enough to find a place that sells the silver label Gran Reserve buy yourself a bottle, if you think the Orange label reserve is nice wait until you try this........unless you already have

I quite like the ability to sit outside with a nice view and it's only a couple of minutes up the road from me. Food's OK but nothing special (I've had better even in the same chain) and, imo, slightly overpriced.

Still, they've got a few single malts and freshly squeezed OJ so it ain't all bad.

The Admiral Rodney is my favourite pub to dine in. I'm not a big eater so the menu is extensive enough for me - steaks, salads, chicken dishes, curry, gammon, sausages, pies and much more. In fact their gammon is consistently the best I've had from a handful of pubs, including more expensive ones.

The clientele is usually made up of mainly diners and a few drinkers of age late 20s upwards. I've never seen any local jobs, although there was once a young chav-ish couple having a meal!

It's fairly pricey, but my girlfriend and I have always been pleased with the quality. The only complaint has been that the Sunday lunch appears to be simply reheated if you order it on Sunday evening, but that's almost to be expectd anyway.

Seconded on the Gammon, went in there last week and it was great!

Archived