Remember limes club

A walk down to the Limes was our Sunday night treat when we were kids ...bottles of pop , watching the 'turns' , waiting outside the stage door to get their autographs, getting an earful for talking during the tombola , then to round off the night we had the choice of summat of the cockle man ...or pie, peas and gravy from the snack bar . The club trips were always looked forward to with great enthusiasm too .

Started using the club again in the early 80's when Colin and Joy were the steward and stewardess....and off hand I remember George Keen , Clive Smith , the Reid brothers, Mick Eades, John Postlethwaite , John Moxam ...and many more whose names will come to me .......eventually!! lol.

I was taught to play dominoes and crib by the group who used to meet in the games room on Saturday afternoons ...which stood me in good stead when I joined the Attercliffe and District Games League some years later .

Have to say though ...I wasn't inpressed when the committee decided to relocate the snooker room from upstairs to the ''extension'' at the back of the concert room ...sort of killed the atmosphere a bit .

My grandma used to take me there when I was very young, this would have been late fifties when she went to play tombola (bingo). I remember her buying me lime and lemon to drink and letting me play bingo. Joto might remember this as she was her grandma too.

my grandma and grandad used to run it George and Florence wood,my mum was Jean,they left before i was born so i dont remember it but iv heard loads of stories about it my mum has fond memories of the place.And yes Babrballeah iv heard all about the dog too, you allso mention that you are relatives of there's i would love to know how you are related.

• 12 years later...
On 19/05/2011 at 22:10, juicylucy55 said:

my grandma and grandad used to run it George and Florence wood,my mum was Jean,they left before i was born so i dont remember it but iv heard loads of stories about it my mum has fond memories of the place.And yes Babrballeah iv heard all about the dog too, you allso mention that you are relatives of there's i would love to know how you are related.

I used to go out sometimes with your mum and her sister I remember staying over at the club. My dad was on the comity there.

• 2 weeks later...

Limes club if I recall was on right-hand side going downwards on Barnsley Road I think.I visited the club twice,on two occasions.First occasion I lost a snooker match.On second occasion was to wetch a mate play a match which he won.We were both regulars at Faulkner's snooker hall,on Cambridge Street.

There were some good players in Sheffield and areas surrounding in those days,early to mid 70's.

Quirebell
Curry
Bardsley
Ellison

In Rotherham..
Law
Marshall
West
Brittle

In Worksop..
Fowler
Bradley.

19 hours ago, zakes said:

Limes club if I recall was on right-hand side going downwards on Barnsley Road I think.I visited the club twice,on two occasions.First occasion I lost a snooker match.On second occasion was to wetch a mate play a match which he won.We were both regulars at Faulkner's snooker hall,on Cambridge Street.

There were some good players in Sheffield and areas surrounding in those days,early to mid 70's.

Quirebell
Curry
Bardsley
Ellison

In Rotherham..
Law
Marshall
West
Brittle

In Worksop..
Fowler
Bradley.

Remember them all Zakes.

Peter Bardsley and Barry West both played for my local WMC (Bellhouse Rd.)

So did quibell, he left Dial House to join our fold...

Do you remember Percy Hayman and Johnny Hollingsworth, both top players.

Perhaps a bit before your time, but another was Maurice Parkin, used to knock 100's in for fun, turned Pro did Maurice.

I've played once for Bellhouse in the "A" division, I won, thats my claim to fame, never lost a match in the "A" division.

Lick that.

2 hours ago, Padders said:

Remember them all Zakes.

Peter Bardsley and Barry West both played for my local WMC (Bellhouse Rd.)

So did quibell, he left Dial House to join our fold...

Do you remember Percy Hayman and Johnny Hollingsworth, both top players.

Perhaps a bit before your time, but another was Maurice Parkin, used to knock 100's in for fun, turned Pro did Maurice.

I've played once for Bellhouse in the "A" division, I won, thats my claim to fame, never lost a match in the "A" division.

Lick that.

Staffy Brittle was a character a couple more were Jimmy Lee and Vic Derbyshire.

• Like 1