Boots And Beer

spinac

Anyone fancy joining me for a 10 mile point to point walk between Strines and Ladybower this Easter Sunday? The few regulars in my group are away this weekend but I plan to do the walk anyway (with 1 or possibly 2 others).

If you'd like to join me, we'll be setting off from the Hillsborough Interchange at 10.30 on the 65 bus (£2.50 day ticket). You'll need a packed lunch with drink, decent boots and waterproof (just in case). The walk takes us over to Ladybower and we'll finish sometime after 5pm at the Ladybower Inn for a couple of drinks before getting the 18.40 bus back to Hillsborough.

Reply here or PM me if you fancy a breath of spring air in Derbyshire.

Cheers,

Ken

PS I also do shorter walks each month - there were 11 people on the Five Weirs Walk and I'm planning the Wentworth Follies Walk on 10th April. There's also the Keswick Walking Weekend to coincide with the Keswick Beer Festival at the beginning of June (bunkhouse accommodation) and the original Brasher Boots and Beer festival in September

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Strix - I haven't had much response through the Forum for these walks so haven't been posting updates. I'm doing a similar walk to the Easter walk on the 24th (probably 8 miles) and a short walk at Castleton on 8th May.

We had a great day out on Sunday doing the Wentworth Follies - about 6 miles in brilliant weather. 11 people turned out and most were surprised how good this walk was on our doorstep. Whoops - missed the Needle's Eye folly so will really have to do better on navigation next time!

I've also got plans for a walking weekend in Keswick at the time of the Beer Festival (1st weekend in June) and the original Brasher Boots and Beer Festival in Hawes in September.

All welcome to join - further details at http://www.spinac.co.uk or PM me here.

Cheers,

Ken

Hope the hairy one is fully recovered from the op.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi SHSheff,

I wouldn't be able to organise this myself as I run SpurIntoAction in my spare time - I have another full time job.

The way the group works is that anyone can organise an event and I can help to make it a success. If you would like to organise a walk during school hours, or know anyone else who might, let me know and I'll see what we can do together for yourself and other members.

Castleton walk goes ahead tomorrow plus "Valley of Desolation" walk at Bolton Abbey on 22nd May (shared transport and costs). Keswick "Boots and Beer" (walking weekend plus Beer Festival) costs £59 (3rd to 5th June).

You might like to check out Sheffield Health walks http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/out--about/parks-woodlands--countryside/ranger-service/health-projects-team/health-walks-scheme or Radio Sheffield walks

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/content/articles/2005/04/15/get_walking_feature.shtml

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Ken

Ahah! You're Ken! You emailed me when I did the free trial joining thingie for SpurIntoAction a few mins ago. :)

But thanks for the info. I've checked out the sites and the walks aren't what I'm really looking for, but thanks anyway. I'm more into hill walking than they seem to be, and I prefer 10 or so miles from choice rather than the shorter walks on offer on those sites....gives me something to get my teeth into, and get out onto some bleakness which is where I wanna be..

Just mentioned it in case someone reads this post who's interested....cos I'm short of someone to walk with during the week, hence asking you.

Thanks again for the reply.

Archived