Anyone remember the Gatefield club

miffa

My Mom and Dad, my brother and I were all members back in the late 40s and thru the fifties, until the family moved to Cornwall. My aunt lived on Gatefield Road, and us on the next street over, Glen Road. It was a very active club in those days with "turns" every Saturday night.

Played football for them aged 16 but not for long before I was bought by a bigger club:hihi::hihi::hihi:That was in the 70's.Also played darts in the mid 80's tho' that was against them.Their captain was a really old guy who ,when asked if he had named his 5 players for the '1001' replied ''yes,we've got ham,cheese & black pudding on''...:help:

The Gatefield closed down about 3 years ago it was bought by some building company who were going to knock it down and build flats even though part of it was listed. They did knock it down and start building but dont think any work has been done for a while.

I remember taking a passing interest in the scheme. There was a disagreement between the developers and the city planners.

I think what happend was that the city planners were concerned that there would be enough parking for the residents, but the developers kept trying to reapply with a few less parking spaces to fit extra dwellings on.

It sounds like they never sorted it.

The entrance onto Abbeydale Road is snided with Japanese Knotweed, and a large mature tree was blown down a couple of years ago, you can still see the damage to the fencing from where it fell.

remember the gatefield very well, can anybody remember any of the comittee men, one of them was my dad.

or any off the bar staff, one of them was my mum.

My father was a member of the Gatefield .I remember the club as a youngster when they used to have black pudding sandwiches upstairs in the snooker room.In the main room the Warburtons sat in the same seats every time and when the TOMBOLA was on as a child you had better be quiet.Nibbits and orangillo were the order of the day.What was a bonus every year you could go on the club trip with your mates to Mablethorpe be fed and given spending money 4 half crowns to squander.Fantastic

• 11 months later...

Well he would have been drinking there from when it opened right up to his death which would be around 88-89 also went in the Sportsman near derbyshire lane , the Cremone on London Road and the Broadfield (long before it was a student hang out)