Police harass me For filming them at work

I am perfectly happy to be monitored by CCTV - I feel much safer with it, than without it.

Covert surveillance is another matter, but I trust the British judicial system (flawed though it is) to decide whether or not my house is deemed suitable to bug. Not being a danger to the state, I'm pretty confident they'll leave me alone.

As for shoving a camera in my face and whining "it's my right!", it gains no sympathy points from me. I'd be quite inclined to wrap the camera strap around the film-maker's neck.

Police state? It's screwed up and needs a kick up the arse, but it's just a democracy.

Also, if they can film us when all UK CCTV systems currently breach Article 8 of the European Declaration of Human Rights.

They are breaking the law and I am breaking no law leaves only one conclusion.

We are living in a fascist police state!

Oh dear. We may have a lot of CCV cameras, but we have one of the most lax judicial systems, the most (ridiculously) robust civil rights systems, and we are one of the nations on Earth furthest removed from being a Police state. Travel the world, and you’ll see for yourself.

Why does the controversial Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 not attempt to regulate CCTV Surveillance in any way?
Because it doesn’t matter to people who aren’t obsessed with it. There are better hobbies than Police baiting with a video camera.

While I agree with your post, I must ask what in the name of all that is sacred but not politically correct, is a 'policeperson'?

Is our species mankind, or personkind?

it just seemed easier to write policeperson rather than policeman/woman:)

We are living in a fascist police state!

The very fact that your thread, your comments and your film have been free for everybody to view for several days now, and the fact that you still have all your rights and liberties, rather suggests that we are not.

Ant,

AS i said matey, he shouldn't have talked to them in such a cocky manner, but i posted my opinion, and i stand by it.

The coppers made themselves look idiots by tackling the man in the first place.

They should have radio'd in first before approaching someone on their own property.

As for your comment "The police have to adopt an air of superiority (you may call it an "I know better than you attitude" if you will."

- I will! An air of superiority comes across as condesending and gets no respect, very much like the cockyness of the cameraman.

"Not all officers know every point of law, young recruits in particular will be more liable to have gaps in their knowledge due to lack of experience"

In reality i agree, but they should - theres no excuse for quoting non existing laws.

A fascist state - surely you jest mate. In a fascist state you would have had your camera lens shoved where the sun don't shine and no come back or questions asked. In a fascist state paparazzi would not be allowed to hound people to the point where they end up dead in a car crash either. So I guess its swings and roundabouts eh?

* Sigh *

I never said that the two officers were lying, you're confusing my post (the part you've quoted wasn't exactly serious) with the actions of two uniformed rozzers.

They both seemed to be under the impression that it was illegal, not just "making the laws up as they go along". They obviously did not lie to him (repeatedly), they made an error and departed on further clarification. It's quite obvious when you watch it.

Neither did they try to "bait him first". They were polite, and asked him to put the camera down. He responded snottily.

As was his right!

Imagine coppers telling you it was against the law to film them from your own property.

I'd tell them where to go as well!

The male copper made the mistake and then to make it worse they stuck together when questioned with the female officer backing him up.

Yes they checked with base and embarassed they legged it without saying another word.

It looks like a sensitive policing area where it was filmed and that propably made it worse.

again, not appologising for my opinion - they dealt with it poorley.

hmmmm

got to agree with Ant on this one.

Ok the coppers got it wrong but the OP appears to be very anti police.... as the title of the film states they were "harrasing" a young lad. Hardly call it harrasing from what I saw on the film.

As for the comment of the police should know everything about the law.... daft. I wish I knew everything about my job... it still doesnt affect how I carry out my work. If i dont know, i find out and learn....just like they did.... they are human after all!

What ever happened to respect for the law? I know there have been some bad eggs over the years but this guy was batting the police from the start.

I agree you had the right to film what ever you wanted from your front garden, but you should of had the courtesy of treating the police with respect instead of giving them abuse and refusing to answer their questions.

What ever happened to respect for the law? I know there have been some bad eggs over the years but this guy was batting the police from the start.

I agree you had the right to film what ever you wanted from your front garden, but you should of had the courtesy of treating the police with respect instead of giving them abuse and refusing to answer their questions.

I agree entirely. The police in this case were polite and well mannered - if the OP had behaved similarly, there'd be no story at all.

Archived