What is the best romantic novel of all time ?

pattricia

My personal favourite romantic novel is 'Le Grande Meaulnes' by the French author, Alain-Fournier. I heard it read on the radio in 1980 and it just totally caught my imagination.

You're right Joe, it's terrific, although the English translation is not as good as it might be. It's been really well filmed too.

My personal choice would be 'The Favourite Game' by Leonard Cohen. And if I was going for a French novel, 'La Dentellière' ('The Lacemaker', but not available intranslation) by Pascal Lainé. Both have a hint of darkness about them; no place for happy endings in my imagination I'm afraid. Doomed love, that's all there is out there...

You're right Joe, it's terrific, although the English translation is not as good as it might be. It's been really well filmed too.

My personal choice would be 'The Favourite Game' by Leonard Cohen. And if I was going for a French novel, 'La Dentellière' ('The Lacemaker', but not available intranslation) by Pascal Lainé. Both have a hint of darkness about them; no place for happy endings in my imagination I'm afraid. Doomed love, that's all there is out there...

Ive never heard of any of these novels.

Archived