Coffee bars of the 60's

Aries22

• 2 weeks later...
my mum used to work at the shack coffee bar she was the cook in in the late 50s and up untill it closed her name was sheila ward

I used to go in the favorita and the sidewalk and used to work at the shack for a time.Hard and hot work.

Yeah my Mum worked there for a time too, I remember going with my Dad to pick her up late at night. Miss Blaskey ran it, I understand she is still alive and living at Totley.

• 2 months later...
Hi Tooeg

yes there was it was called the Flamingo and we ton up boys used to race up there and back to the disc jockey 1961-4.A few names I remember were Pete Beck ,Niel Bates,Alan Morton,Rowdy yates,Richard Cooke,Mick & lulu,Tony Owen and Tom who worked at Whitbreads in the garage.

Hi, I know this is an old quote , but it sure has brought back memories of names and places....I know all the guys and the places you listed spent many happy hour in these my local haunts [lived sharrow lane] from 1965 onwards..hears a few more you guys you may remember,,Badger,Drewy, the Pick twins ,Tommy Sales ,Ivan and Pop oldest biker in the world at that time.. had a steel plate in his head..yes and who could forget Sue..also the three brothers at the Flam Malc/Mick/Nick..we also visited The take 5 at Walkley..I rode a Bonniville ..still bike now though not as often....THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES

I know it's just over the border, but I remember "Bobbies Cafe'", Millthorpe. It was a really great little cafe' that was situtated at the bottom of Millthorpe Lane (now converted into two bungalows). Ideal for people that had been walking round the local countryside. The place had a classic 1960's interior with the brightly coloured tables and 1960's style lampshades that made it look and feel like a seaside ice cream parlour.

The food was wholesome and they served gorgeous kickerbocker glorys and milky coffees - from a big shiny metal machine back of the counter - all pipes n steam.

I know it's just over the border, but I remember "Bobbies Cafe'", Millthorpe. It was a really great little cafe' that was situtated at the bottom of Millthorpe Lane (now converted into two bungalows). Ideal for people that had been walking round the local countryside. The place had a classic 1960's interior with the brightly coloured tables and 1960's style lampshades that made it look and feel like a seaside ice cream parlour.

The food was wholesome and they served gorgeous kickerbocker glorys and milky coffees - from a big shiny metal machine back of the counter - all pipes n steam.

I used to sneak in there with a bird I shouldnt have been with thinking it was safe there ugh in walked my next door neighbour,I kept a very low profile for a while.:(:(

Archived