Coffee bars of the 60's

Aries22

I went once, as a dare on my 16th birthday....we went in, walked round and came back out again in fits of giggles......we were good girls and it had a wee bit of a reputation at that time.:hihi:

Oh just noticed the 60's part....this was in 1958....sorry

It would be the 1950's Joan, as the El Mambo was beside The Empire stage door. The Empire was demolished in 1958. The El Mambo was a knocking shop (as we called them in those days).

It would be the 1950's Joan, as the El Mambo was beside The Empire stage door. The Empire was demolished in 1958. The El Mambo was a knocking shop (as we called them in those days).

:hihi:I didn't even know what a knocking shop WAS then...just that something had been in the paper about it and I had been told not to go in there.(strange though, I can still remember the name of the bloke that got charged for what went on)

It was my birthday and we were on a coffee bar crawl to celebrate and I was 16 and I could do anything that day:hihi:

As I recall that day we did, Marsdens, (Teen Bar?) Disc Jockey (bottom of London Rd?) El Mambo and a couple of others. Just a group of junior sales girls having a giggle and a good time and not a drop of alcohol to be seen.

Ahhh me, happy days:):banana::clap::wink::headbang:

Thank you for jogging my memory, yes it was called the Sidewalk We were also told not to go to the El mambo as it was known as a place for prositutes. I must have been nieve didnt even know what prositutes were? I think it was being told not to go that made it more exciting

• 1 year later...
:hihi:I didn't even know what a knocking shop WAS then...just that something had been in the paper about it and I had been told not to go in there.(strange though, I can still remember the name of the bloke that got charged for what went on)

It was my birthday and we were on a coffee bar crawl to celebrate and I was 16 and I could do anything that day:hihi:

As I recall that day we did, Marsdens, (Teen Bar?) Disc Jockey (bottom of London Rd?) El Mambo and a couple of others. Just a group of junior sales girls having a giggle and a good time and not a drop of alcohol to be seen.

Ahhh me, happy days:):banana::clap::wink::headbang:

Was there another coffee bar as well as the Disc Jockey further up London Rd. A bikers cafe probably opposite Wilf Greens

Archived