Coffee bars of the 60's

Aries22

• 6 months later...

Hi Tooeg

yes there was it was called the Flamingo and we ton up boys used to race up there and back to the disc jockey 1961-4.A few names I remember were Pete Beck ,Niel Bates,Alan Morton,Rowdy yates,Richard Cooke,Mick & lulu,Tony Owen and Tom who worked at Whitbreads in the garage.

Can anyone remember the Roman Room? I think it was off Leopold Street, not sure about that! Happy memories of the Sidewalk, used to go in on a Saturday, after a couple of drinks in the Stone House, the on to Cockaynes for afternoon tea! Local groups were often in the Sidewalk, even after Dave Berry had his first top ten hit, it was ususal to see him in there that nobody hassled him. I think the downstairs room was called the'Egyption Room', not so sure about that.

Yes, I've not been in Sheffield for many years now but I do remember the Roman Room and La Favourita. There was also the Ocelot ( I think they called it that ) at the junction of Bramall Lane and Asline Road. Anyone remember that one?

Used to go in the Disc Jockey and the Locarno down there and wasn't there one between Ponsfords and the White lion on London Road ?

Yes, it was called the Rendezvous ( hope iIve spelled that correctly ) Run by a Pole called Boris Twork

That's the feller, thanks Elmambo..

Remember going in a couple of times for a meal upstairs .

Only ever went in the Elmambo once, felt extremely uncomfortable like we were sitting in somebody's else's seat..

Hi Bullerboy - I used to work in a coffee bar/cafe at the top of Janson Street, carbrook, we had several on attercliffe common/carbrook and was a meeting place for 'ton up boys' with their bikes - think our coffee bar was one of the first to introduce "curry" to the bikers - oh the amount of tea and coffee I made for them all . - PS. have read your blog on motorbikes of the 60's brought back many happy memories used to ride one myself

Archived