Coffee bars of the 60's

Aries22

What did they call the coffee bar at the top of the stairs at the ABC cinema, if it had a name at all.

My brother and his pals from central tech used to go at lunch time, probably far enough away from school to not get caught smoking.

I remember the strong smell of coffee as you walked upstairs. Oh so sophisticated.

What did they call the coffee bar at the top of the stairs at the ABC cinema, if it had a name at all.

My brother and his pals from central tech used to go at lunch time, probably far enough away from school to not get caught smoking.

I remember the strong smell of coffee as you walked upstairs. Oh so sophisticated.

It was called the concourse. It started off as a quite well, even sophisticated as you say, but eventually, because of the behavior of the people who used to hang around the town centre, became a source of great aggravation to the cinema manager (Les Allen )

To his delight it became ABC 2, in the last years of the cinemas life.

Hi there was a coffee bar across from Hillsborough park called the squirrel I think and Dave Layne the footballer owned it in the early 60s it was usually busy as one or two other players would pop in from time to time.

Yes affectionately known as the bent Owl I recall. Then became Swiggy's and latterly a Chinese.

Yes, I've not been in Sheffield for many years now but I do remember the Roman Room and La Favourita. There was also the Ocelot ( I think they called it that ) at the junction of Bramall Lane and Asline Road. Anyone remember that one?

My brother used to frequent the Ocelot but it was too "grown up" for me to go! This was in the 60's.

That's the feller, thanks Elmambo..

Remember going in a couple of times for a meal upstairs .

Only ever went in the Elmambo once, felt extremely uncomfortable like we were sitting in somebody's else's seat..

You were - my seat :hihi:

Do you remember Sue, the dragon lady charged with running the disc Jockey ? or Phoebe, Landlady of the Albion just opposite ?

Me and my mates went in the Centre Spot Cafe (as racy as we got..) It was opposite Cockaynes/Redgates and near the old 'Hole in the road' and they did a mean milky coffee and had a great pin ball machine. We wagged it from school and had many happy hours there drinking coffee and racking up replays! This would have been 1967/68/69 btw so late sixties. A bit 'after the fire' of the initial impact of coffee bars on kids. I think they may have had a juke box but we were into pinball!

Archived