Coffee bars of the 60's

Aries22

Wasn't that Marsdens more or less opposite the Peace Gardens...."Teenage Tavern".... in 1958 at least. I remember that cos I spent most of my 16th birthday there, half day closing when I worked at C&A.:thumbsup:

Always went in the SMUGGLERS CAVE Middlewood Road opposite side to Park Cinema

Used to drink coffee out of glass cups/saucers play on the pin tables and TRY to chat up the girls whilst trying to look cool smoking a Park Drive. This was circa 1958 - 1960 ish

Early 60s the Smugglers,trying to be cool. Great pinball machines. George the owner made sure you bought a coffee. Then when the New Stand Cafe opened there were a couple of big barnies between the gangs. Mid 60s the La Fav between the pub and the long walk back to home. (No late buses and no taxi fare) Happy days. Some of the lads are still round Hillsborough.

hi arrodbo,do you remember two rockers,little Bill and black Brien used to ride Triumphs like loonies,alan fowler and malcolm allott.

Hello there, I dont specifically remember thos names but I do remember the bikes tearing around up to Middlewood tavern and back AND no crash helmets.

I sometimes went to the Sidewalk during lunch break to get warm when i attended Whiteley'college, i remember trying to type with gloves and coat on as the place was freezing cold. I hated everyday i had to attend the college, it was like going back 100 years walking up the stairs to our classrooms. Anyone else have memories of the building.

Archived