Anybody on here ever written a book?

Smithster

I've ghost-written a few non-fiction books (published by Mitchell Beazley, Penguin, and others), and I've written a couple of novels (under consideration at present). My best advice would be to read a lot of books, and then read a whole lot more.

Make sure your grammar, spelling, punctuation and editing skills are as good as you can get them.

And I thought that Stephen King's "On Writing" was very good for writing help--not exactly a how-to book, though.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Ive started one, but as yet it is unfinished.

Like most people here I assume. Its funny to see that there arent that many people who have seen their works published on a writers sub-forum. Unless they prefer to keep it to themselves.

PS Yay for reviving old threads :P

It's something I have always wanted to do, and I have finally found the motivation to actually begin writing. It is a novel which draws heavily on my own life experiences - write about what you know and all that. I don't want to go into detail about the content, but I was wondering if anybody had any tips they could offer me.

Thanks in advance.

I have just finished a novel (A thriller) and am at the moment trying get a literary agent.

If I can't do this I will self publish.

Big tip I learned from a popular agent: approach them at the twilight end of summer when people are on holiday and aren't thinking more about suntans than they are about trying to get an agent. It's their quietest time and the best opportunity for an agent to give more attention to the new writers that drop their manuscripts on their doorsteps.

Archived