Catholic Orphanage 1920s

ShirleyB

Hello everyone, I am new to this site & saw Jo-Jo's question about Catholic orphanages for girls.

I have a similar dilemma in that my father, born in 1920 in Sheffield was apparently orphaned around the age of 7 years & was placed in a catholic orphanage or boarding school (not sure which one) in the mid 1920s. I haven't been able to find a birth certificate for him. He would not discuss his family when he was alive & my mother knows nothing about them (they met & married during the War). All I know is that he was born catholic, both parents died when he was young, a brother died at Dunkirk, his father may have been in the army & he went to a catholic boarding school or orphanage run by monks or nuns where he had a rough time - but it's all hearsay.

Can you tell me of any catholic orphanges/schools for boys in the Sheffield area in the 1920s? Or of where I could search for a baptismal record?

I have been trying to research my family history for more years than I can remember & am getting absolutely nowhere!

Help!

Hello everyone, I am new to this site & saw Jo-Jo's question about Catholic orphanages for girls.

I have a similar dilemma in that my father, born in 1920 in Sheffield was apparently orphaned around the age of 7 years & was placed in a catholic orphanage or boarding school (not sure which one) in the mid 1920s. I haven't been able to find a birth certificate for him. He would not discuss his family when he was alive & my mother knows nothing about them (they met & married during the War). All I know is that he was born catholic, both parents died when he was young, a brother died at Dunkirk, his father may have been in the army & he went to a catholic boarding school or orphanage run by monks or nuns where he had a rough time - but it's all hearsay.

Can you tell me of any catholic orphanges/schools for boys in the Sheffield area in the 1920s? Or of where I could search for a baptismal record?

I have been trying to research my family history for more years than I can remember & am getting absolutely nowhere!

Help!

i have looked through the Kellys directory forSheffield 1927 and can only find the Sheffield Blue coat school Psalter Lane it provided board and education for boys 8 to 14.

Help!

Have you tried enquiring at the Local Studies section in the Central Library. I would imagine all boarding schools and orphanages would be regulated by the council to some extent in the 1920s so there ought to be some records of what institutions of this kind there were in the area.

Signing up with the Sheffield Family History Society message board and posting your query there should get the attention of some local experts...

http://www.sheffieldfhs2.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?

The Sheffield section of Rootsweb could also be helpful...

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~engsheffield/

ShirleyB : There are several threads on orphanages so just use the " Search " link on the left side of the screen. You will also find references in Fulwood Homes and similar threads because people discuss other similar institutions.

Good Luck.

Archived