SUFC, are they trying to wind me up?

Robbie Loving

I'm sure they are not doing it with the intention of "winding people up". It is a commercial decision.

The ground is not filling up. Rather than reduce the prices they think it is a good idea to get new punters in.

They assume that reducing general prices would not get more people in, because if you are a comitted fan you are going to go anyway.

I don't know if they are right or not, but that is the thinking.

Originally posted by boyface

At the end of the day there's empty seats. Even charging a fiver with a free pint and pie still makes the club a profit. Plus people will buy more pints, a programme, more food etc

these are students we are on about,

they wont buy a programme

they wont buy more food

the reasons being for this, you dont get that much time at a united game to buy food and beer etc,

students will just not buy a programme

so for this fiver, they get a pie ticket and beer

lets say the beer and pie cost £1 for both of them

then we have to employ extra staff, as i believe this was done only on the gordon lamb stand, an area which we dont normally use

so we need turnstile operators, extra stewards and extra cateering staff

say there was 100 students turn up

after costs for the pie and beer thats £400

then say we employ an extra hmmmmm 15 staff

say they earn on average £20 for the game

thats £300

so a profit of £100, taxed £75,

then cost of stand to be cleared afterrwards

extra electricity

i really do not see it being worth while!!

Originally posted by Robbie_Lovin

they wont buy more food

the reasons being for this, you dont get that much time at a united game to buy food and beer etc,

students will just not buy a programme

so for this fiver, they get a pie ticket and beer

lets say the beer and pie cost £1 for both of them

then we have to employ extra staff, as i believe this was done only on the gordon lamb stand, an area which we dont normally use

so we need turnstile operators, extra stewards and extra cateering staff

say there was 100 students turn up

after costs for the pie and beer thats £400

then say we employ an extra hmmmmm 15 staff

say they earn on average £20 for the game

thats £300

so a profit of £100, taxed £75,

then cost of stand to be cleared afterrwards

extra electricity

i really do not see it being worth while!!

As inept as our board are, this won't have been run at a loss. Personally, Gillingham won't have been bringing many fans, so why don't we let some students in? I've got a season ticket, but I'm not whinging about the £10 a ticket deals they do for 4 games a year.

You should remember as well…loads of students are footy fans. Sheffield has more students stay on in the city after they finish uni than anywhere else in the country.

Now if they're keen footy fans and you can get them to like your team, even if after they finish uni they only take in a few games a season, it's still money for the club. Then they have kids, who in turn are likely to go to the match with their dad and grow up as blades fans.

It's worthwhile in my opinion.

Originally posted by bigrods

As inept as our board are, this won't have been run at a loss. Personally, Gillingham won't have been bringing many fans, so why don't we let some students in? I've got a season ticket, but I'm not whinging about the £10 a ticket deals they do for 4 games a year.

i know it wouldnt have come at a loss!!

by all means, get extra people in at a reduced cost, but you have to remember, students already get low priced tickets already!!

why dont they dish out some free tickets to schools

thats where the potential market is!!

or give them to some needy causes who could raffle them off to people, winners all round then!!

you dont whinge about the £10 tickets, cause that is already in built in to the price of your season ticket, as are category B games

Originally posted by Robbie_Lovin

they wont buy more food

True, i dident see anybody buying a program but you should have seen the ques for both the bar and for food, we were just glad that we had got up a few mins earlier at half time for a beer and some scran (which wernt free, its before the game that you get a free pint and a pie).

Archived