Bonfire Night - Any ex-pats miss it?

Timbuck

We have lived in Canada for 40 years, we still celebrate bonfire night, and it has become a tradition, neighbours and friends always have a good time. Instead of roasted potatoes and toffee, we roast a pig,, make a big pan of chilli, and pea soup. Someone always makes a guy, we have plenty of fireworks, and beer. A good time is always had

We have lived in Canada for 40 years, we still celebrate bonfire night, and it has become a tradition, neighbours and friends always have a good time. Instead of roasted potatoes and toffee, we roast a pig,, make a big pan of chilli, and pea soup. Someone always makes a guy, we have plenty of fireworks, and beer. A good time is always had

I'll agree with you on that one and as for us we have another reason to celebrate Nov 5th my grandaughter was born on the 5th :love:

In the sixties I always used to go to the fire and fireworks at the City General. It was run by a few of the staff (one of whom was my brother).

They stacked up as much wood as they could get, in the grass area between the two kids wards, and lit it as soon as it got dark. They had a good few quids worth of fireworks too, and it really made it all worthwhile. Cathy Wheels nailed to posts, Roman Candles, Jumpin Jacks, that kind of thing. There was always a couple of big rockets for the finale. The kids would gaze out through the window, their faces lit by the flashing pyros. It was almost Dickensian.

Afterwards we would all go into the staff bar where the junior doctors got drunk, but as soon as they started singing rugby songs, I had to go home

• 3 weeks later...

I wish i was back in sheff. I moved to Canada in 04. I really miss bonfire night. We had a massive fire in the back garden, and my dad would do the spuds on the side of it. I loved going to wigleys newsagents and getting bonfire toffee. We lived on Ridgehill Ave, with the house backing on to the park. It was great. For anyone out there. We were the Hancocks.

If you remember anyone it would be my brother Billy. Need i say more

• 2 years later...
I sure do,I now live in Canada..I miss the parkin,and the bonfire toffee,roasted spuds,everything about it..

Will someone remind me. What is or was "parkin?" The name rings a bell but I just don't remember it. Was it a kind of cake?

Someone mentioned that in eastern Canada Bonfire night is celebrated. That's pretty much confined to Newfoundland, where I lived for many years. As an ex British colony, only having joined Canada in 1949, Nfld has kept many of the British traditions. They drink a lot of tea there. Their flag until recently used to be the Union Jack. And Bonfire night is celebrated in some neighborhoods. Unfortunately, while I lived there, it was being blighted by vandals who would throw propane tanks on the bonfires, necessitating the calling out of the fire brigade.

Will someone remind me. What is or was "parkin?" The name rings a bell but I just don't remember it. Was it a kind of cake?

Yes - a delicious dark-coloured cake, made with oatmeal, ground ginger and treacle (or golden syrup). Here's Delia Smith's recipe: http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/traditional-oatmeal-parkin,1586,RC.html My mother made it with coarse oatmeal and black treacle; it used to stick to your teeth but was scrumptious...

Yes - a delicious dark-coloured cake, made with oatmeal, ground ginger and treacle (or golden syrup). Here's Delia Smith's recipe: http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/traditional-oatmeal-parkin,1586,RC.html My mother made it with coarse oatmeal and black treacle; it used to stick to your teeth but was scrumptious...

Thks, Hillsboro. I think my aunt used to make it. Over here, "treacle" is difficult to find. I wonder if I could substitute molasses for black treacle. The "golden syrup" should be OK as Lyle's is in the supermarkets. I'll give it a try.

Archived