End of the Lescar as we know it.

Merry_Legs

I'm genuinely sorry about the majority of these completely unacceptable occurrences BUT

It's exactly this sort of thing that rings the death knell for the local pub! It seems to me that outrage should be for the serving up of disgusting ale which has long turned to vinegar (Psalter Tavern) by staff who don't have a clue (one lass couldn't use a hand pump and required assistance) and not for the capital offence of not supplying straws with an alcoholic beverage

LOL! Oh my God, I can't believe how much you completely misunderstood my post. It was a dry attempt at wit..... and you took it so totally seriously. I was saying I LIKE the place!

Leah

the main objective now is to keep duncan/raj employed if they stay, the clientelle stay then its all good.. only think to sort out then is apparently no football being shown? These fat cats at the brewery really are a bit mental.

Both myself and my husband have been going in the lescar for over 20 years and we can't believe that they are going to turn this proper pub into a wine bar. Surely if you wanted a wine you would go on the very popular Ecclesall Road for this. The Lescar is always busy and it's more a community pub in Sheffield than anywhere else in Sheffield. Are we really going to spoil yet another good British traditional local as we call it.

We both feel that this would be a total waste of money and that the pub would lose it's character, and the characters that free quent it. The pub appeals to all different classes ages from tarmackers to solicitors and people enjoy a good social evening with a good landlord Duncan.

What a sad day when it closes.

Mr & Mrs Enright

think you may have known a good friend of mine who often went there who I was told commandeered the TV remote control to watch cricket, footie, neighbours or was it eastenders etc.

The PubCo insists that it won't be a wine bar, but that they are just cleaning it up (which is long overdue IMO).

We'll see soon eh?

As long as they dont do what happened to the Psalter Tavern - a really beautiful place with character and soul which they've succeeded in totally destroying. I've only ever set foot in the place with great reluctance since they effected the unwarranted faceshift.

• 2 weeks later...

Very sad if the character of the place changes. It was so refreshing to go to Galway recently and find most of the pubs and bars independently owned, not owned by either breweries or faceless profiteering pubcos. The result is a town full of pubs which are all different and full of character. Yeah you could strip 'em out and enlarge 'em to fit in more punters, but that's not what it's about. To see what i mean, go into Neachtains (probably not spelt right) if you ever go there. All alcoves and ramshackle use of available space, but brilliant pub. nearest you'll find in Sheff is the White Lion, if you take away the large space at the back.

Hmm.

So where does that put our 90 year old Cath who likes to sup of couple of pints of London Pride at the end of the bar?

If you want to complain, you can write or email the address below.

Email:

Mitchell & Butler's (communications@mbplc.com)

Write :

Mitchells & Butlers plc

27 Fleet Street

Birmingham

B3 1JP

We need to do it.

I was with a friend at the weekend. She recieved a call from Kath (a fine woman), who was devastated by the news. She really is worried. There is a community in the Les, which you don't get elsewhere. People look out for and after one another.

It may not be my hangout of choice, but it is very unique and plays an important role in the surrounding community.

We do not need a Toby or Harvester in this area.

I feel very sorry for the managers; he seems devastated. He has always been a terrific landlord. He will also have a family which this decision impacts on.

And Raj; he has been there since my time in Sheffield; he is such a gentleman, always willing to help. He deserves better than this.

Sorry to all of you Lescar regulars.

Archived