A 'disorder' that involves 'opening and shutting' of doors!!!

I am the opposite, I leave every door open as I would be opening and shutting them all day, can't be bothered doing that - except in winter, I also leave the fluorescent light on in the kitchen in the evening - I really can't understand anyone door slamming as they are first in line for the irritating noise

I am the opposite, I leave every door open as I would be opening and shutting them all day, can't be bothered doing that - except in winter, I also leave the fluorescent light on in the kitchen in the evening - I really can't understand anyone door slamming as they are first in line for the irritating noise

Same here, even the back door during the day, unless there's a howling gale. BTW with flourescent lights it's usually cheaper to leave them on than keep switching them on and off ;)

Yep, it sounds like OCD.

Is there any chance you could have a word with your neighbour, or maybe write him a little note?

If he has OCD hopefully he will want to do something about it.

As far as I know people who have the disorder tend to be really upset and embarrassed when they find out that they have been a nuisance, and will want to do something about it.

Which is also why you would have to tell him nicely- we're an oversensitive lot hee hee.

Blue Dragon, if it's taking you hours to tidy your desk,and if, like you're saying, you can't relax because you need to get a feeling that "things are just right", then yes you're very likely to have OCD.

OCD-like symptoms are also sometimes indicators of autism spectrum disorders. They're more likely to be repetitive movements in an ASD rather than hand washing or cleaning, but some people with ASDs are so rigid about the way in which things have to happen, and the order in which they have to happen, that they will spend all day repeating them.

Yeah OCD seemed like the correct answer. I know lots of people who suffer minor bouts of it. Myself included. But banging doors?!

He seems quite capable of not banging doors when he has company, when he's blasting out music with his mates. Like now.:rolleyes:

I woke at noon today

You poor thing ! :rolleyes:;)

I work 2 jobs, both of which are evening and early morning hours.

I really can't understand anyone door slamming as they are first in line for the irritating noise

Well quite.

But banging doors?!

I saw something about his awhile ago. Something along the lines of the banging signals to the person doing it that the door really is closed. If they dont bang it it means to them that its not really closed so they arent safe.

I think the point about not doing it when people are there has to do with feeling safer when people are around, but when he's by himself he has to bang the door to feel more secure.

[quote=*_ash_*;2553828

I posted a while ago in a noisy neighbours thread, about my neighbour below me contently slamming doors, but in recent days whilst I've been at home most of the time, I've noticed that he is just opening and then shutting doors... all day!! :loopy::loopy:

I woke at noon today to the sound of him opening and shutting it, and he did it from noon until PM when I left for work. (he averaged about 1 door shut/slam per minute), and then when I returned home from work at AM, he's at it again???!!

Poor ickle Lamb. He must be suffering from one of societies' 'syndromes'............ I have a cure.............invite him round to yours............trap his head between the door and the floor................shut the door on him and then say ' Fancy a Paracetamol ? '

Archived