Tesco Planning Application -Walkley/Crookesmoor

Cis_H

lol.. although i agree to tesco not being built there.. i do think a sitting area/playground is also slightly bizare too.. busy road kinda kills the whole "nice" sitting area ... and kids.. PC people wil go nuts!!

theres not really much that can happen to the area..someone is going to want to buiild a shop there.. whether its tescos or asda or your local john.. .. but your local john wont be able to build a building and make it work unless you manage to get something that walkley needs.. and tbh.. theres aint nothing walkley hasnt got.. apart from a tescos. lol.. petrol station was probably the best thing there.. but noone used it so it went under. (price was the issue really) ..

Fletch

There seems to be a minimarket war going on on Barber Road. There's Coop, the place down near Andy's carpets that looks like it's struggling and now the Nisa where Fairey's used to be.

If Tesco joined the minimarket war I suspect they'd win it. (Now overall I'm a fan of the Coop but that particular one is rubbish - I call it a hangover shop as it only really sells things you'd buy when you have a hangover.) Anyway Tesco will probably be arguing that since the change of use from plumber's merchant to minimarket was allowed just down the road then this establishes a precedent that existing amenities aren't a reason for refusal - and you can see their point.

The reason they'll be arguing that traffic congestion isn't an issue is because these minimarkets are designed for local pedestrian shoppers. So parking for shoppers isn't such an issue in theory (although in practice it might be another story...) But delivery vehicles surely is an issue because it's a very busy junction already (the next stage will be traffic lights, I shouldn't wonder) and HGVs cause mayhem on Barber Road and South Road already. If the Council does allow the Tesco then I would have thought an HGV pull-in at the front of the site might be a necessary condition.

If Tesco or an agent of Tesco owns this site then they're just going to keep filing applications until they get one through. The Council could (I think) decide that the site is never going to be a minimarket, in which case Tesco might get rid of their option on the site. Not sure how this works but I might investigate...

Anyway, I reckon the best way to think about this is that whatever the technical arguments for or against an application, the decision itself comes down to local councillors, and what they are concerned about is their popularity with their voters, so at the end of the day it comes down to the weight of local opinion. If the opposing voices from the community are strong enough, the councillors will vote against it (but if Tesco appeal then it's a different ballgame). If Tesco are really keen they will drum up local support as well, so be forewarned! They'll also have someone watching this forum to see what their opponents are up to!

Start with the reasons for refusal last time around, and unpick the new argument. Then go for massive opposition and lobbying councillors.

A couple of posts seem to be raising concern at where delivery vehicles would park and possibily block the junction.

This isnt the case, i have just read the application and looked at the site plan, and delivery vehicles do have a layby to park. This is sited right infront of the shop on site, so wont block assess of any kind.

Just trawled through the documents, and this is the summary of findings from the last application:

SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATION

The site lies at the northern end of, and just within, the boundary of the Commonside Local Shopping Centre where shops are the preferred use (Policy S7 of the UDP refers).

it is considered that the size of the development proposed in this planning application is in scale with the function of the Commonside Local Shopping Centre.

It is considered that as the proposed level of vehicle activity would be no worse than the previous use on the site and as such there is no highway objection on traffic generation grounds.

However, It is considered that the proposal would provide insufficient off-street car parking provision, poor access arrangements and a lack of on-site space for accepting service deliveries to the detriment of highway safety and contrary to Policy S10(f) of the UDP.

It is considered that the proposed layout, massing, form, scale, external appearance, poor detailing, and materials of the proposed development is out of keeping with the character and appearance of the locality and this Area of Special Character. As such the proposed development would be contrary to Policies S10(d), S11, BE5, BE15, BE17 and BE18 of the UDP.

It is considered that the proposal would not cause significant harm to the living conditions of nearby residents.

It is therefore recommended for refusal.

lol.. although i agree to tesco not being built there.. i do think a sitting area/playground is also slightly bizare too.. busy road kinda kills the whole "nice" sitting area ... and kids.. PC people wil go nuts!!

theres not really much that can happen to the area..someone is going to want to buiild a shop there.. whether its tescos or asda or your local john.. .. but your local john wont be able to build a building and make it work unless you manage to get something that walkley needs.. and tbh.. theres aint nothing walkley hasnt got.. apart from a tescos. lol.. petrol station was probably the best thing there.. but noone used it so it went under. (price was the issue really) ..

Fletch

The petrol station didn't work because everyone filled up at Tesco

Game set and match

The petrol station didn't work because everyone filled up at Tesco

Game set and match

no they didn't! Not one near. The jet at the top of Crookes was more reliable. But most went to Morrissons!

The problem with that fuel station wasn't price it was cashflow. They kept running out of fuel because they couldn't afford to get the tankers in

Got no problem with another Tesco.

It will be well used.

True.

But it is only a mile from the other tesco down the road.

I think the whole country will be blue, red and white soon.

(Oh hang on a min . . .)