Tesco Planning Application -Walkley/Crookesmoor

Cis_H

I recently moved from Barber Road area, and can't understand why no-one seemed to object to the new Nisa which opened opposite the Co-op when everyone seems so up in arms about a Tesco?

I've been looking for the planning application for the NISA and I can't find it on the council website. Would they have had to submit a planning application to change from a plumbing shop to a convenience store?

That tactic only works in marginal wards. This site is at the boundary of Broomhill (46.7% LD), Crookes (52.9% LD) and Walkley (49.6% LD).

So I guess that living in Broomhill there is little point in speaking to the councillors about this as they've got reasonable majorities so they don't need to listen to the pesky voters.

It would be nice if Councillors actually thought about whether something would benefit or harm their area rather than making some crude calculation about how many votes are in it and whether they need those votes.

It would be nice if Councillors actually thought about whether something would benefit or harm their area rather than making some crude calculation about how many votes are in it and whether they need those votes.

I generally do ignore votes when considering how to respond to planning applications. There have been several attempts to convert shops to houses on South Road where I have written to object but colleagues have been more of the opinion "if we help them get this passed, they'll be grateful to us and possibly vote for us". When the application to put a buddha statue on the buddhist centre came in a colleague had to stop me going into the planning meeting and ranting at my own electorate about their intolerance. "You can't tell them they're bigots, they won't vote for you!"

But there is still about 50% of the population that are students.

I've just run my casework program and 7.6% of the population of Walkley Ward are students. If you just include the Howard Road and South Road districts - the "core" of Walkley, 5.1% of the population are students.

The greatest proportion in Walkley Ward is Netherthorpe with 34% students.

Edited by jgharston
Student population

There have been several attempts to convert shops to houses on South Road where I have written to object but colleagues have been more of the opinion "if we help them get this passed, they'll be grateful to us and possibly vote for us".

So Lib Dem councillors help developers get planning permission in return for votes? That is illegal Cllr!

Planning applications should have nothing to do with politics or voting.

When the application to put a buddha statue on the buddhist centre came in a colleague had to stop me going into the planning meeting and ranting at my own electorate about their intolerance. "You can't tell them they're bigots, they won't vote for you!"

You're a principled bunch aren't you.

Tesco aside, the bottom of springvale road should have double yellows for a small distance. Having people parked there is incredibly dangerous, especially for drivers not used to the area. The whole street is a bit of a hazard in fact, reminds me of that thread about terraced roads becoming one way.

So Lib Dem councillors help developers get planning permission in return for votes? That is illegal Cllr!

Planning applications should have nothing to do with politics or voting.

So, it's illegal for a local cllr to write to Planning and say I think Mrs Smiths application should be passed?

Is it more or less illegal than a certain cllr of negotiable allegiance not telling his planning colleges who make the decision that he's submitted a planning application for his own cafe and recommending it be passed?

I generally do ignore votes when considering how to respond to planning applications. There have been several attempts to convert shops to houses on South Road where I have written to object but colleagues have been more of the opinion "if we help them get this passed, they'll be grateful to us and possibly vote for us".

So did you (or other councillors) in the end vote for or against these previous developments? Also, doesn't that rather contradict your previous statement that councillors in the area don't feel under pressure to do things that the local electorate demand.