Tesco Planning Application -Walkley/Crookesmoor

Cis_H

If local stores are complaining about loss of trade, surely you should be looking at what you do, not what others are doing. If you provide good service, good prices and are convenient...you have nothing to worry about.

When the Tesco Metro opened in Abbeydale Park there was an outcry from the shops at Totley Rise, 3 years down the line all the shops on the Rise are still open and still pulling in the customers , the only shop to close was the rip-of spar which was a few shops up from the new Tesco :D

The council neither permitted or considered denying the two supermarkets in Crookes. They are pre-existing properties with pre-existing planning consents. The council only has the ability to deny permission for changes of use. Sainsbury's used to be a Co-Op, so has pre-existing supermarket retail use permission, and the Co-Op used to be Kwik-Save, and so has pre-existing supermarket retail use permission.

Interesting that just down the road from the proposed Tesco’s site the Herbert Fairy building (ex plumber’s supplier) turned into a Nisa Metro (mini market). You can argue that they are both retail outlets but plumbers merchant trade counter to supermarket is a fairly major change.

I’m no lover of Tesco’s, but the area round the site is a total mess already with severe traffic issues and problems for pedestrians due to parked cars right up to the junction with Commonside by the Rajput. With some double yellows up to the junction the Tesco’s development might actually have improved the junction

Anyway it all might be irrelevant if / when Asda take over the Netto on South Rd.

How could adding a supermarket possibly improve the parking situation?

They might have restricted parking with double yellow lines on the junction, but the increased number of cars trying to park (as close to the shop as possible, of course) would have made it an absolute nightmare - not to mention the effect of the Tesco lorries.

How could adding a supermarket possibly improve the parking situation?

They might have restricted parking with double yellow lines on the junction, but the increased number of cars trying to park (as close to the shop as possible, of course) would have made it an absolute nightmare - not to mention the effect of the Tesco lorries.

As I say Im firmly against the proposal but Im taking the view from Tescos. I believe the plans were for some limited off road parking, bike racks etc. They said the main trade would come from passing pedestrians (plenty of students I guess) presumably like Nisa / COOP down the hill. I can believe this as why would you bother driving to a small Tesco express when there's a full sized one less than a mile away or a Sainsbury's just up the hill in Crookes?

Now consider Netto on South Road where a large trade is those picking up a weekly shop in the their cars. Just those 2 off road space and the rest of them all over the pavements, making joining South Road from side streets very dangerous

Would the Tesco site be any worse than its former use as a Garage / mini shop, with dozens of cars each hour accessing the forecourt plus delivery tankers?

What are the plans to develop the site if / when Tesco finally give in?

If it were any other company rather than Tesco do you think there would be the same opposition?

Whilst I'm pleased Tesco have lost this round there still seems to be a few things that don't fully add up here.

Tesco could do something great for the local community and turn the land into an off street a parking area! Then the council can double yellow line all around that nightmare junction and then it would be so much better to drive through.

Can't see it really happening though.

Would the Tesco site be any worse than its former use as a Garage / mini shop, with dozens of cars each hour accessing the forecourt plus delivery tankers?

Were you around the area when the filling station was there? There were 2 pumps, no shop (just a kiosk) and if you were to stand and watch it all day you may see half a dozen vehicles a day go into the filling station.

Little petrol sales means infrequent tanker visits too.

The filling station has been closed for a good 10 years if my memory serves. When it was functioning as a business there were far fewer cars on the road in general and almost none of the local student population drove cars of their own, so although that junction was still a hazardous one, most of the parking situation simply didn't exist because there weren't as many cars around the area as there are now.

I have no problems with Tesco opening as many stores as they want to open, but I have a problem with that junction getting even more complications to it without anything being done to address the parking and the safety of that junction.

Were you around the area when the filling station was there?

I knew the owner, used to fill up and wash the car their regularly and buy coal down there. The business folded after that fuel tax protest. Coincidence or not I guess that's when the supermarket petrol really started undercutting the little guys and his prices suddenly looked sky high. Before all that it was a busy little place.

Biggest issue with Commonside is inappropriate speed coming over the blind brows at both ends but no one seems willing to admit that.

As I say Im firmly against the proposal but Im taking the view from Tescos. I believe the plans were for some limited off road parking, bike racks etc.

There were, but they were very limited, just one or two spaces IIRC.

They said the main trade would come from passing pedestrians (plenty of students I guess) presumably like Nisa / COOP down the hill. I can believe this as why would you bother driving to a small Tesco express when there's a full sized one less than a mile away or a Sainsbury's just up the hill in Crookes?

They would get quite a bit of passing trade from pedestrians, but my bet is that plenty of people from walkley/crookes would use it while driving to/from other destinations to quickly pop in and grab a few items.

Now consider Netto on South Road where a large trade is those picking up a weekly shop in the their cars. Just those 2 off road space and the rest of them all over the pavements, making joining South Road from side streets very dangerous

Agreed, although probably a lot less busy than Tesco would be. When it becomes an ASDA things might well get a lot worse around there...

If Tesco's reputation is anything to go by, they will hold on to the land indefinitely and leave it exactly as it is now - an ugly blot on the landscape - until they eventually get their way.

If it were any other company rather than Tesco do you think there would be the same opposition?

Probably not as vocal, because Tesco are particularly evil, but I think the decision would be exactly the same anyway because it was on the basis of real and obvious problems with the plans.

I strongly suspect Tesco will be back again as soon as they are permitted to (is there a minimum gap between applications?) with plans that answer the various objections given as reasons by the council, and they will get permission to build a store there. But for the sake of the local economy, I hope it takes as long as possible.

I strongly suspect Tesco will be back again as soon as they are permitted to (is there a minimum gap between applications?)

No, you can keep putting in planning applications for anything as often and a frequently as you have enough money left.