Tesco Planning Application -Walkley/Crookesmoor

Cis_H

Thanks for this link.

I am so shocked by this planning application (but not surprised). Why do we need a Tesco convenience store half a mile from a large 24 hour supermarket. The impact on local busineses will be crushing. I saw it happen in Huddersfield; within two years many local bakers and grocers had folded.

A nightmare.

I already signed every petition I could find, sent an objection by email and another by snail mail, so I think I've recorded my objection as a local resident already (on the grounds of both safety of that site and the proposed site being so close to the existing supermarket).

I've signed the petition against Tesco opening a store at that site. I used that road often and know how dangerous that junction can be. I also agree that there are plenty of other stores in walking distance from this site.

I'm doing all I can against this - I know that competition isn't a grounds for objecting to planning permission but some folks have spent years building up good quality businesses in the area and I don't wan't something which would largely be built on the back of transient student trade depriving the locals of these existing shops.

But the main objection is surely traffic - that is a pretty bad junction at the best of times (I use it at least twice a day). I know they've changed the road markings and the Springvale Road junction by the pub in the last few years to try to improve it - the increase in traffic from a Tesco - Lite (with attendant deliveries) would certainly make it worse.

• 3 weeks later...

I read in the Telegraph last week that it seemed likely that Tesco's application would be rejected. There is a meeting today with our responsible Councillors to make a final verdict on this application.

Does anyone know the outcome?

I have heard, that they will re-apply immediately.