Expat in scarborough

willo

hiall.when i first came to live in scarb'ro [1980] one of the first things i noticed [could'nt really miss-lol] was the vulcan bomber flying over the castle headland, i was told that the vulcans were a 24x7 presence & were britains 1st line of nuclear deterant/strike force. over the weekend i posted on the scarbr'o forum asking any ones memories of this majestic [scary] bit of local history. the only positive reply i got was from 1 ex raf chap with an impressive knowledge of aircraft / bases/pilots[their goldfishes names blah blah, who assures me that the vulcans never flew over here.now either i'm having flashbacks to when i was'nt in vietnam or we had some *******! big seagulls here in those days. i'v trawled the net looking for a scarbr'o vulcan connection,with no joy. i just wondered if any of you guys/gals remember seeing the vulcan during your trips to the resort. cheers all,willo.

There was a visit to Scarborough by an RAF Vulcan bomber either in service or preserved but I cannot remember the year . I would suspect it was in the early 1990's rather than 80's and it was accompanied by a Hurricane fighter presumably for an anniversary of some event. The aircraft were to do some passes mainly over Olivers Mount and there was a charge made to be on the roads there due to its prominent position. Myself and the missus parked up in Holbeck car park as we thought the charge exorbitant and got just as good a view of the flightpast. One of the more mature journalists at Scarborough Evening News (if there are any left) may be able to help via the archives.

hiall.when i first came to live in scarb'ro [1980] one of the first things i noticed [could'nt really miss-lol] was the vulcan bomber flying over the castle headland, i was told that the vulcans were a 24x7 presence & were britains 1st line of nuclear deterant/strike force. over the weekend i posted on the scarbr'o forum asking any ones memories of this majestic [scary] bit of local history. the only positive reply i got was from 1 ex raf chap with an impressive knowledge of aircraft / bases/pilots[their goldfishes names blah blah, who assures me that the vulcans never flew over here.now either i'm having flashbacks to when i was'nt in vietnam or we had some *******! big seagulls here in those days. i'v trawled the net looking for a scarbr'o vulcan connection,with no joy. i just wondered if any of you guys/gals remember seeing the vulcan during your trips to the resort. cheers all,willo.

Archived