Sheffield's Gay Zone

nightingale

Sorry, Carbs, that you missed me!

There were however a few hundred in the pub and garden at the time who all enjoyed my show immensely!!!

Next Year, I promise to all my fans, I WILL make sure I can get a spot on the Main Stage!!!

BTW, I heard an official figure of the attendance bandied about, which was at about 3,400-3,500.

Remember it is quite a small site,a nd it looked very crowded, even right at the end..!

Let's look at having a bigger site next year; perhaps Endcliffe Park or The Ponderosa?:hihi:

I was there and four people in the pub were watching you 'sing' not a few hundered. However I was headlining and everyone enjoyed the Dog competition..I'm suprised you didnt enter yourself..?

If i was there to watch Tyranna it would have been 4,001 , never mind !!! :-)

Yes I think Endcliffe park is a great idea for a future venue - bring lost business to the cafes and bars along Ecclesall rd - not sure about Ponderosa a little too "north sheffield?" and yes Weston park would be very apt too ;-)

In answer to earlier post NO there are no quiet gay bars in sheffield at moment - someone shud open one where jukeboxes and piped music are banned it would be an instant smash with older folk such as us - I suggest the re-open the Matilda?? Why dont you take that one on Jamesogt when the Lions lair has ot be eventually demolished to make way for new retail quarter?

It's very interesting that people are looking for different locations to hold next years pride event and are worried that if a park is chosen that is better known and patronised by the general public then this will reduce the turnout amongst the LGBT community.

So my question is; after the success of this years event should the gay community have it's own park for such events adjacent to one or two gay bars/establishments (in a similar way to Manchester's Canal St) to give the community a focus and a heart that at the moment it doesn't have due to venues being scattered around the city?

At the moment I'm working on an idea that may very well do this and when I have more details I'll put them on the forum.

In the mean time if you have any business interests or are involved in the gay community in any way and wish to know more, please PM me with your details.

Thanks.

RAH RAH RAH is back and in a new venue Friday 4th July see's rah rah rah go back to what it does best by bringing you the latest in pop, chart, dance, Indie and electro. DJ Emma & Lindsey Walker are back on the 1's and 2's.

You will now find Rah Rah Rah Upstairs above DQ with new opening times off 11pm - 3am so you can Rah for longer. check out the event on facebook and add what songs you would like to hear and we will make it happen.

After Party at Lions Lair xxxx

Does anyone think the success of the event was anything to do with the location ? A park not very well know and quite hidden away. If it was held somewhere like Western Park or Endcliffe which are far more public spaces frequented by (lets say) less tolerant about the idea of pride, do you think it would be as successful ?

Rampromhom's idea about a special 'dedicated' park for a Gay Pride like Sackville Gardens in Manchester would simply be the wrong way; there is not enough 'Critical mass' of Gay venues/businesses in Sheffield to support such a dedicated park, except for a very tiny one, such as the plaza next to the HUBS in Paternoster Row,and such a place would be far too small to host a pride.

In my opinion, a larger park such as Endcliffe (Where last year's unofficial 'Pink Picnic' was held) would be ideal to host an enlarged Pride next year; the only problem being that it is even further out from the city centre than Cemetery Park, but we could easily offer the dedicated bus service from the interchange which was such a success on 7 June.

Three years go, when I was involved in an abortive attempt to plan Sheffield Pride in 2006, I suggested Weston Park (NOT 'Western'), which due to its proximity to the University, would seem an ideal location for a pride; the Prides in Nottingham, Leicester and Leeds have ALL been held in the closest park to each city's University, as students are often extensively involved in organising the events, and the neighbourhood of University campuses are often relatively quiet, respectable neighbourhoods.

However, in the case of Weston Park, it has become notorious as a 'cruising ground' for gay men for many years, and in spite of its multimillion pound refurbishment, which even included a restored and well-equipped bandstand (Like the one at Nottingham Arboretum, venue for Nottingham Pride), my efforts to promote Weston Park as a venue for Sheffield Pride were unsuccessful, and I am convinced that the final choice of Cemetery Park was in the end the right one, as the location, size, and improved condition of this site are pretty well as good as Weston Park.

However, short of felling trees or locating trading stalls among the graves themselves, Sheffield Pride at Cemetery Park cannot really expand any further in size (Unless maybe it can become a 2-dayer at much extra expense?), so I would propose that Pride committee look at Endcliffe Park, which I have found a both safe and desirable potential location for a future Pride, and this park really has loads of room, and with lots of visitors regularly passing through, it will actually be of great benefit to integrate Gay Pride more with the local community and show what us Gay entertainers, artists, musicians, and organisers can do to make an enjoyable celebration of being Gay/Lesbian/Bi/Trans for all!:love:

Rampromhom's idea about a special 'dedicated' park for a Gay Pride like Sackville Gardens in Manchester would simply be the wrong way; there is not enough 'Critical mass' of Gay venues/businesses in Sheffield to support such a dedicated park, except for a very tiny one, such as the plaza next to the HUBS in Paternoster Row,and such a place would be far too small to host a pride.

In my opinion, a larger park such as Endcliffe (Where last year's unofficial 'Pink Picnic' was held) would be ideal to host an enlarged Pride next year; the only problem being that it is even further out from the city centre than Cemetery Park, but we could easily offer the dedicated bus service from the interchange which was such a success on 7 June.

Three years go, when I was involved in an abortive attempt to plan Sheffield Pride in 2006, I suggested Weston Park (NOT 'Western'), which due to its proximity to the University, would seem an ideal location for a pride; the Prides in Nottingham, Leicester and Leeds have ALL been held in the closest park to each city's University, as students are often extensively involved in organising the events, and the neighbourhood of University campuses are often relatively quiet, respectable neighbourhoods.

However, in the case of Weston Park, it has become notorious as a 'cruising ground' for gay men for many years, and in spite of its multimillion pound refurbishment, which even included a restored and well-equipped bandstand (Like the one at Nottingham Arboretum, venue for Nottingham Pride), my efforts to promote Weston Park as a venue for Sheffield Pride were unsuccessful, and I am convinced that the final choice of Cemetery Park was in the end the right one, as the location, size, and improved condition of this site are pretty well as good as Weston Park.

However, short of felling trees or locating trading stalls among the graves themselves, Sheffield Pride at Cemetery Park cannot really expand any further in size (Unless maybe it can become a 2-dayer at much extra expense?), so I would propose that Pride committee look at Endcliffe Park, which I have found a both safe and desirable potential location for a future Pride, and this park really has loads of room, and with lots of visitors regularly passing through, it will actually be of great benefit to integrate Gay Pride more with the local community and show what us Gay entertainers, artists, musicians, and organisers can do to make an enjoyable celebration of being Gay/Lesbian/Bi/Trans for all!:love:

Until that last sentence you were saying good things (!) but then spoilt it by assuming that it is the gay entertainers (that'll be you, between the lines, then?) that is what pride is all about. It ain't honey, it's us, the people.

Archived