Sheffield's Gay Zone

nightingale

Rampromhom's idea about a special 'dedicated' park for a Gay Pride like Sackville Gardens in Manchester would simply be the wrong way; there is not enough 'Critical mass' of Gay venues/businesses in Sheffield to support such a dedicated park, except for a very tiny one, such as the plaza next to the HUBS in Paternoster Row,and such a place would be far too small to host a pride.

I'm not exactly proposing a park simply for hosting Pride Tyranna. That's just one event that I forsee being held there and as you quite rightly say my proposed park won't be big enough to hold a pride event on its own. Luckily there are other open spaces in that proposed locality that could be used that would allow people to wander a little more than they could in cemetery park with the proposed gay venues helping to cement the event together.

The problem I have with Endcliffe park (and yes you're right it's a very good large open space) is yet again it's some distance away from both the city centre and both universities and this park more than cemetery park has a feeling of belonging to the local suburban community which may cause more problems than a pride event is meant to eradicate.

The problem I have with Endcliffe park (and yes you're right it's a very good large open space) is yet again it's some distance away from both the city centre and both universities and this park more than cemetery park has a feeling of belonging to the local suburban community which may cause more problems than a pride event is meant to eradicate.

There is public transport that go past Endcliffe Park, taxi`s go up there as well, people can walk, it doesnt have to be in the city centre of near unversities. :loopy::loopy:

Endcliffe Park would be a super idea for next year Pride.

There is public transport that go past Endcliffe Park, taxi`s go up there as well, people can walk, it doesnt have to be in the city centre of near unversities.

Endcliffe Park would be a super idea for next year Pride.

Well I'll try and get there next year irrespective of where it's held.

Until that last sentence you were saying good things (!) but then spoilt it by assuming that it is the gay entertainers (that'll be you, between the lines, then?) that is what pride is all about. It ain't honey, it's us, the people.

...I'm surprised that you take issue with me for being 'an entertainer',and then have a go at Gay threads for degenerating into slanging matches in almost the same breath!!!

OF COURSE, Gay Prides are about 'the people' as well as entertainers, and not just about 'people' who fit into your Gay stereotypes as well!

As an entertainer, I take PRIDE in performing excellent, up to date and HIGHLY ORIGINAL material, as do many of the other great entertainers, both local and national, and why shouldn't I add to my post with those 'good things' as you mention, with a final word about all the HARD BLOODY WORK us entertainers put in behind the scenes, as well as on the day, so as to make YOUR Pride enjoyable.

Consider this particular issue CLOSED, and let's return to the merits/demerits of a 'Pink Park'.

Personally, the little Brown Street Plaza next to the Hallam Uni HUBS could be remodelled with more flowerbeds and seating, and named after the famous local Gay poet Edward Carpenter, as a 'Gay Memorial Park'?

'Edward Carpenter Gardens' anyone??:love:

As an entertainer, I take PRIDE in performing excellent, up to date and HIGHLY ORIGINAL material, as do many of the other great entertainers, both local and national, and why shouldn't I add to my post with those 'good things' as you mention, with a final word about all the HARD BLOODY WORK us entertainers put in behind the scenes, as well as on the day, so as to make YOUR Pride enjoyable.

Yes the entertainers at Sheffield Gay Pride were very good, and did put alot of time into it, but you were not one of them on stage entertaining us were you.

Yes the entertainers at Sheffield Gay Pride were very good, and did put alot of time into it, but you were (words Deleted)

I thought everyone would respect what I said only two hours ago about this issue being CLOSED!

I did, in fact, entertain many of the Pride audience who popped into The Vine next door just after the main stage finished, and I was the main walk-around entertainment on the site with everyone wanting a picture with me!

Anyway, moving on to other Gay issues, if anyone wants to get involved in planning Sheffield GALA 2009 (Gay And Lesbian Arts Festival), do get in touch with me, as I will be needing commercial sponsors, venues, people involved in publicising and organising events, etc.:hihi:

Archived