Manor pictures

gillmarx

The Manor Top

used to be a name to be conjured with - - The Elm Tree pub - - The Cinema, and the snooker hall below.

Tom the manager, ---You were honored if you could use the first table in front of the office!

The cafe by the side - - two ladies - - Margerate & Beatie I think - - original style coffee bar to me. Think Vimto or frothy coffee. I think it later turned into the clinic (Maternity that is)

The Saturday rush! The tanner special - - watch the manager come on to open the show - - bow tie et al - - flash gordon - hopolong cassidy - Then dash out to run around on "Pit Hill" - now the fire station.

I've slid down that on 'alf an anderson shelter and nearly made it across the pit pond at the bottom - - had to swim to shore! Wonder we didn't catch typhoid. Happy Days.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to go to the Manor picture house in the early 1930,s with my mother and dad and my sister,when there was a good film showing the queue used to reach Ridgeway Road,it used to cost a shilling for the 3 of us with a quarter of sweets, 4pence each for mun and dad 2pence for me and carry my sister inplus 2pence for a quarter of sweets

the kids matinee on saturday afternoon were great ,they had a serial which always ended with the goodies chasing the badies I well remember Gene Autry and Smiley Burnette in the Phantom Empire.It always started with a cartoon but the 3 Stooges always got the best cheers better than any you heard at bramall lane or owlerton

• 1 year later...

I used to go to manor pictures for the saturday matinees in the sixties. it was a bit of a free for all if i remember, lots of kids running around and screaming and the staff constantly trying to keep order. We had to sing happy birthday to kids who we didnt know and were probably lying about it being their birthday anyway!! they seemed to give a lot of seaside rock away as prizes. loved going there though my dad took me to all the james bond movies in those days shown as double bills. went to see one million years bc with raquel welch, and another dinosaur film, when dinosaurs ruled the earth, when a cavewoman exposed her breasts and my dad didnt know where to put his face!!

I vaguely remember it being ripped out and changed into the "CHALLENGE!!" supermarket but i can't think when that was .

i work for somerfields now the one on the manor and recentlly we had our roof mended because it was practically falling down x when they had the tiles off once you could see right up to the top of the old decor in the roof it was amazing also down in our warehouse there are some sighns of where the cinema & snooker hall? used to be x

Archived