Classic cinema

bellis

As I was putting a bit of "flesh on the bones GAUMONT THREAD" I thought I would add

the following information from the same booklet The ABC of Sheffield Cinemas

about the much missed Classic Cinema in Fitzalan Square

ELECTRA PALACE, Fitzalan Square

Opened: 10-2-11 Reopened as a News Theatre, 8-9-45 and Classic 15-1-62.

Architects: J H Hickton and H E Farmer

Capacity: 670 (1911); 587 (1935); 484 (1962)

Proprietors: Sheffield and District Cinematograph Theatres Ltd. From June 1945 Capital and Provincial News

Theatres Ltd, which continued as Classic Cinemas Ltd; from April 1982 the Cannon Group

Closed: as the Electra 28-7-45; as the Sheffield News Theatre/Cartoon Cinema, 14-1-62; and as the Sheffield Classic, 24-11-82

Subsequent use: Demolished following a fire; site redeveloped for shopping

NOTES

The facade on to Fitzalan Square was faced with glazed terracotta and was in the style of the 15th century Arabian architecture; there were graceful minarets and traceried openings, which were lit up at night. It was the first cinema in Sheffield to run continuous performances. In 1925 there were two fires possibly caused by smouldering cigarettes, and a further fire the following year; several rows of seats had been destroyed with considerable damage to furnishings caused by water.

In 1929 the Electra jumped the gun and advertised talking pictures before the other city-centre cinemas were ready to bring in sound. Equipment had been hired from British Phototone, who used disc recording and provided ten minute shorts of variety artists or instrumentalist; These were shown from the 21st March to the 3rd June accompanied by a silent feature. The hall then reverted to wholly silent programmes until January 1930. The Electra was not as profitable as the company's other Sheffield halls due to its restricted seating capacity and in 1945 it was sold to Capital and Provincial News Theatres Ltd, who sought to acquire small halls that might be exploited as news theatres.

The concept was to provide a 75 minute continuous show with newsreels, cartoons, comedies and sometimes a travelogue. In 1953 the basement hall, originally used for billiards, was converted to a restaurant, which operated independently of the cinema. By this time the attraction of newsreels was beginning to fade for television could present the news that much sooner. On Coronation day the television coverage was shown at the theatre on a large screen; the admission charge included a packed lunch. A series of 3-D shorts were shown for some three months beginning in May 1953, while further 3-D shorts were programmed in the autumn of 1954. In August 1959 the News theatre became known as the Cartoon Cinema. However, it soon became necessary to produce another rabbit out of the hat.

The company had for many years operated a small chain of 'Classic' cinemas and this side of the business was being rapidly expanded. The Sheffield Classic was launched in January 1962 following refurbishment of the hall, but closure was avoided by carrying out most of the work at night. Renovations had involved the removal of much of the decorative fibrous plaster in the auditorium, while the grimy but rather attractive frontage was concealed behind modern cladding.

A succession of 'Classic' features were shown, many of outstanding quality, and by the following year there was often a double feature. A Classic Children s Club flourished for many years with shows on a Saturday morning but attendances dropped with the declining fortunes of the cinema. Eventually the supply of vintage 'classics' seemed to run out or perhaps it was thought that too many had been shown on television. And the Classic became just a another cinema, a sort of Electra Palace as it would have been a generation later.

Cannon an American company, took over the remnants of the Classic circuit in 1982 but for the Sheffield Classic the writing was on the wall and within six months it had closed.

Sad ending really!

• 2 years later...

Some interesting info' there ceegee. It was the 'News Theatre' when I knew it back in the 50's, and a favorite of mine. Usually I went on Saturday morning, in at 10 o'clock and out at 12 when the pubs were open. I wouldn't say I was a movie 'buff' but I just liked movies.

You could guarantee a couple of the old silent comedies, sometimes real rare ones which you don't see at all nowadays, Ben Turpin, 'Fatty' Arbuckle etc; cartoons, and semi educational movies featuring champion golfers, ten pin bowlers, archers (Howard Hill), stuff like that.

There were regular comedies too, 'Joe Doakes', (Dave O'Hanlon), Edgar Kennedy, Leon Errol, 'Three Stooges', and musical short movies featuring people like 'Duke' Ellington, Billie Holliday, yeah, there was lots of jazz.

There always seemed to be a Fitzpatrick Travelogue, to me at that time, one of the most boring items of all. And of course the newsreels.

Good days they were.

the days when you were shown to your seat by the lady with the torch.

remember old jesse that worked there in 70s.

And the ice-cream lady supplied you with a "drink on a stick" - orange lolly.

I watched (fell asleep) Richard Harris in "This Sporting Life" when they had a house which began about 11.30pm.

Some interesting info' there ceegee. It was the 'News Theatre' when I knew it back in the 50's, and a favorite of mine. Usually I went on Saturday morning, in at 10 o'clock and out at 12 when the pubs were open. I wouldn't say I was a movie 'buff' but I just liked movies.

You could guarantee a couple of the old silent comedies, sometimes real rare ones which you don't see at all nowadays, Ben Turpin, 'Fatty' Arbuckle etc; cartoons, and semi educational movies featuring champion golfers, ten pin bowlers, archers (Howard Hill), stuff like that.

There were regular comedies too, 'Joe Doakes', (Dave O'Hanlon), Edgar Kennedy, Leon Errol, 'Three Stooges', and musical short movies featuring people like 'Duke' Ellington, Billie Holliday, yeah, there was lots of jazz.

There always seemed to be a Fitzpatrick Travelogue, to me at that time, one of the most boring items of all. And of course the newsreels.

Good days they were.

Texas- The 'Pete Smith Specialities' were another series of 'shorts' that used to be featured there. Remember 'Andy Clyde' who appeared in a few comedy shorts also, a little trivia on 'Andy', he was Scottish and also appeared in a few major movies usually playing 'cowboy sidekick' roles. I'm happy to say I have a collection of the 'Jazz Big Band Shorts' that were put out at that time.

Yes fleetwood, I remember both Andy Clyde and the Pete Smith Specialties. Andy Clyde featured in a hell of a lot of movies, according to a guide I have. The Pete Smith shorts were interesting in as much as they treated everyday subjects in a lighthearted manner. The usual character in those was an actor by the name of Dave O'Brian I think (not Dave O'Hanlon, he was in the 'So you want to be Muscle Man' or a Football Player or anything really. Remember those? Behind the eight ball.

Do you remember the 'Crime does not Pay' series? I say series, but the only one I remember myself, with any clarity, was the one with the sleazeball garage owner who repairs the brakes on a kids jalopy with cardboard. Result tragedy. The guy who played the garage owner reminded me of a guy I knew in the Army, always sucking on a match and picking his teeth.

• 10 months later...
Remember all night kung fu films there 1975 when i worked at club fiesta we used to go down after work

Strange, me and my sis were only talking about this last week,(after i had paid out an arm and a leg at the centertainment place) Will never go there again.

We also used to go to the all night horror shows there. It was great, you paid for your ticket and got a free cold or hot drink and then at half way trhrough the night you took your ticket and got another drink and either a hot-dog or burger.

Average of five to six films for next to nothing, brilliant.

Really miss the old cinemas.

Archived