But is it art?

Does modern art need renaming? There was a time a few years ago when Damina Hurst could at least semi-legitimately chainsaw a sheep in half and preserve it in formaldehyde and call it art. It may not have fallen into many people idea of aesthetically pleasing but it was genuinely challenging and different. Now mod art is at best staid and repetative and at best utter dross (sorry but if I want to see a pile of bricks I'll go to Wickes and if I can see an unmade bed every morning) - is there anything out there truly either modern or art?

I just love it when 'professional art critics' are hoodwinked and made to look like the fools that they are.

Who remembers the pic done by an elephant weilding a paint brush or the chimp for that matter and the critics wwent overboard about the resulting canvas.

If it makes you think, fine but I don't then want to hear that it's been bought by the Tate modern for thousands of pounds, I can't remember how much the crumpled piece of A4 paper was bought for but if they want another I'm sure my printer could oblige.

Originally posted by Strix

Art is currently defined as something that provokes thought and discussion, so your drawing attention to it validates it!

But no single work of "art" has been mentioned so none has provoked thought or discussion - rather the lack of anything that provokes thought and discussion in a field of endevour that claims to do so is the root cause of this thread - does that mean all the repetative and derivative dross that passes for art these days is immediately invalid?

Originally posted by WALLBUILDER

I just love it when 'professional art critics' are hoodwinked and made to look like the fools that they are.

Who remembers the pic done by an elephant weilding a paint brush or the chimp for that matter and the critics wwent overboard about the resulting canvas.

If it makes you think, fine but I don't then want to hear that it's been bought by the Tate modern for thousands of pounds, I can't remember how much the crumpled piece of A4 paper was bought for but if they want another I'm sure my printer could oblige.

I suppose that just goes to prove that you should never trust a critic - after all most art critics are failed, talentless artists!

Originally posted by WALLBUILDER

I can't remember how much the crumpled piece of A4 paper was bought for but if they want another I'm sure my printer could oblige.

Looks like you're onto a money spinner there WB! An art machine!

Tate modern is full of it. Some pieces you like, others you don't. But the place is huge and has rotation of displays throughout the year.

I have never been and not seen at least a couple of works that I have liked (but couldn't afford obviously!).

I suspect this is another media creation as they only pick on up the "piles of bricks", "unmade bed" things and alass the good work doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Originally posted by kilauea

I suspect this is another media creation as they only pick on up the "piles of bricks", "unmade bed" things and alass the good work doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Very true but it doesn't help when they seem to change hands for huge amounts. One of my favorite displays I saw at Weston Park were a load of pipes, three or four bits joined together to make a funny shape, they're were dozens of these little things then in the middle of them was the same shape but made out of huge sections of pipe. As you loked at these things you got the curious feeling you were lookingat a mother thing and all her little baby things, very weird and very thought provoking.

Archived