But is it art?

nothing that is the point. The date and a frame would make it look like a painting someone had given up on!

We could keep arguing about nothing but we will have to agree to disagree! You can't force me to believe that an empty canvas is art!

But I can keep making the point that the canvas is not empty.

It might look like a painting someone had given up on (although I suspect not - a date is something that would usually come after completion, like a signature) - either way, it still looks like Art more than most rubbish does.

But I can keep making the point that the canvas is not empty.

It might look like a painting someone had given up on (although I suspect not - a date is something that would usually come after completion, like a signature) - either way, it still looks like Art more than most rubbish does.

Of course it is. You can keep saying it but even the artist was not suggesting there was anything there.

Of course it is. You can keep saying it but even the artist was not suggesting there was anything there.

He was drawing attention to the fact that most of the canvas was empty by drawing a border round it and writing the date on it.

The border, and the date, make it not empty.

He was drawing attention to the fact that most of the canvas was empty by drawing a border round it and writing the date on it.

The border, and the date, make it not empty.

no sorry but they frame an empty canvas! Do you want another round?:hihi:

I truly think the artist would be horrified by your frame obsession-I believe he will want you to consider what is within the frame-even I know that!

I truly think the artist would be horrified by your frame obsession-I believe he will want you to consider what is within the frame-even I know that!

Seems like a point missed again... I don't think it's really even relevant what's *on* the canvas. If the artist placed it there, in a context, and wants you to respond to it because of that, that's Art. Jessica23's got a point, though, in that the framing and dating of it is evidence of that intention.

Seems like a point missed again... I don't think it's really even relevant what's *on* the canvas. If the artist placed it there, in a context, and wants you to respond to it because of that, that's Art. Jessica23's got a point, though, in that the framing and dating of it is evidence of that intention.

But if it was in a skip would you think it was art or a blank canvas?

It's probably as tedious for everyone else to read as it for us :hihi:

Anyone else got any views on whether the Bob Law piece would pass HeadingNorth's test for 'is it art' - the test being that the work can be picked out of a pile of rubbish? Or any views on whether or not a largely empty canvas that has a black border and a date written on it is, in fact, empty, or not empty?

Edit: I DO NOT HAVE A FRAME OBSESSION! I am merely saying that the presence of the frame shows that the canvas is not empty. That is all. If I was going to be obsessed with one aspect of this piece it would be the title, which I think is genius.

Anyone else got any views on whether the Bob Law piece would pass HeadingNorth's test for 'is it art' - the test being that the work can be picked out of a pile of rubbish? Or any views on whether or not a largely empty canvas that has a black border and a date written on it is, in fact, empty, or not empty?

Edit: I DO NOT HAVE A FRAME OBSESSION! I am merely saying that the presence of the frame shows that the canvas is not empty. That is all. If I was going to be obsessed with one aspect of this piece it would be the title, which I think is genius.

One of my favourite well known pieces is "The Scream". Name one of yours? (out of interest?)

Although I have eclectic art tastes I reckon my most common tastes are very dark sculptures/paintings. I also like advertisements old cadbury wrappings etc

Thoughts on title seconded. Brilliant. And just a bit relevant to the discussion...

Archived