But is it art?

I can't, what's your point?

My point is, people are talking about art critics like they exist, yet can't name one, especially one that has been "fooled" in some kind of "sting" operation to see if they can distinguish between the Mona Lisa and and a copy of it made by an infant orang-utan.

The aroma of inverted snobbery is blending with urban mythology, and it smells like poop to me.

My point is, people are talking about art critics like they exist, yet can't name one
So what? I can't name any homeopaths, that doesn't magically validate their profession either.

especially one that has been "fooled" in some kind of "sting" operation
Sorry to break this to you, but it has been done, multiple times to various different art critics and artists over the past century or so. Google is your friend, or do you really want me to go dig up a few examples for you? If it's any consolation critics can also apparently be fooled by intentionally bad poetry.

edit: also who are you quoting with the "fooled" and "sting" parts? That had me kind of confused.

Why anger? If someone is willing to pay a lot of money for something you consider awful I don't see why it would make you angry.

I quite like it, the idea of it. I wouldn't buy it, or put it in my house if it was even given to me, but if someone wants to call it art then so be it.

I am angered that people accept that it is art and that people are stupid enough to pay that money for such pretentious rubbish.

Is that ok?

Was going to start a new thread (after going off on a tangent when arguing about page 3 girls) but this will do! This angered me:

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/877093-blank-canvas-set-to-fetch-60-000-at-auction

:rant:now that is not art! It isn't thought provoking! Its a pretentious joke!

And on topic, of course it's thought-provoking. It has provoked you to the thought that it's a pretentious joke.

In your head you have a set of criteria that, for you, constitutes art, and this piece doesn't match it. To reach that conclusion, you have thought about this work and decided that it doesn't meet your criteria. No?

And - further food for thought - why can't pretentious jokes be art? Some of the best art is, intentionally, both...

And on topic, of course it's thought-provoking. It has provoked you to the thought that it's a pretentious joke.

In your head you have a set of criteria that, for you, constitutes art, and this piece doesn't match it. To reach that conclusion, you have thought about this work and decided that it doesn't meet your criteria. No?

And - further food for thought - why can't pretentious jokes be art? Some of the best art is, intentionally, both...

Only if you class "thought provoking" as making you answer any question.

Such as "do you like the colour red?" That is not my idea of thought provoking!

What you are saying is that absolutely everything is art. Everything makes me think something!

What you are saying is that absolutely everything is art. Everything makes me think something!

that was my plan for my latest exhibition :mad: have you been spying on me?

But it could be. Hypothetically, let's say you have Person A, who likes red, and Person B, who doesn't like red. They could have a stimulating chat about why exactly they have the preferences they do that could encompass the symbolic qualities of the colour, their own perceptions and experiences of it, notable reds they have known, etc etc.

Just as your reaction to the blank canvas could be expanded, if one was so inclined, into a discussion of - as the article says - ''the seductive idea of nothing'' - which has so many possibilities for being thought-provoking I don't even know where to start.

Archived