But is it art?

Its the emporers new clothes!

Wish I had thought of that earlier, but I read it somewhere so can't claim credit. That is exactly what this is!

It's alright, nobody is forcing you to like it. You can stick to watercolour landscapes and portraits if you want.

All of that just sounds pretentious to me! People always use that controversy argument and I just think thats rubbish. The art is not annoying me at all, its a blank piece of paper and is therefore irrelevant. The fact that people classify it as art is what annoys me!

The fact that people classify the work as art is what annoys you - and yet you call it art in the previous sentence.

You say the controversy argument is rubbish while having an extensive debate about it, and having been inspired to post about it in the first place because you found the whole thing so irritating.

Bob Law - job done, dude.

The fact that people classify the work as art is what annoys you - and yet you call it art in the previous sentence.

You say the controversy argument is rubbish while having an extensive debate about it, and having been inspired to post about it in the first place because you found the whole thing so irritating.

Bob Law - job done, dude.

well according to you, but actually it isn't specific to his work. It started with a turner prize discussion. The controversy argument is rubbish and I called it art because that is what we were discussing. I admitted he is obviously great at marketing and if that is his art well done! If the marketing is not his art he has made a blank piece of paper and written the date on it. Yawn!

Job done

well according to you, but actually it isn't specific to his work. It started with a turner prize discussion. The controversy argument is rubbish and I called it art because that is what we were discussing. I admitted he is obviously great at marketing and if that is his art well done! If the marketing is not his art he has made a blank piece of paper and written the date on it. Yawn!

Job done

I'd replace 'marketing' with 'challenging people's perceptions of what constitutes art'. But you'd probably call that pretentious...

It's alright, nobody is forcing you to like it. You can stick to watercolour landscapes and portraits if you want.

see that is exactly what I would expect from someone that likes being pretentious-I am not actually a big fan of watercolours or portraits! I have very eclectic tastes but I don't like the emporers new clothes (you can continue to enjoy them if you wish!):D

see that is exactly what I would expect from someone that likes being pretentious-I am not actually a big fan of watercolours or portraits! I have very eclectic tastes but I don't like the emporers new clothes (you can continue to enjoy them if you wish!):D

The point I was trying to make is that we've all got different tastes, it's allowed.

To dismiss something as not being art because it's not for you is the issue where I disagree with you. I hate installations, I cannot think of anything that'll make me go to one, apart from my wife, unfortunately. I just find them boring. I've had similar arguments about me not getting the art, maybe that's the case, but I still accept it as art. Just boring art.

The point I was trying to make is that we've all got different tastes, it's allowed.

To dismiss something as not being art because it's not for you is the issue where I disagree with you. I hate installations, I cannot think of anything that'll make me go to one, apart from my wife, unfortunately. I just find them boring. I've had similar arguments about me not getting the art, maybe that's the case, but I still accept it as art. Just boring art.

I think it is quite acceptable to dismiss things as art based on my opinion. Otherwise you have to accept that everything is art and I just don't. I am not going to accept everything other people tell me.

Archived