But is it art?

Out of interest, why? Because the idea that people have perceptions about what is and isn't art is pretentious? Because the fact that artists challenge that idea is pretentious?

Both of them have been going on for literally thousands of years.

Neither, because people attribute things to a piece of "art" to show they get it when in fact they are looking at the emporers new clothes.

Neither, because people attribute things to a piece of "art" to show they get it when in fact they are looking at the emporers new clothes.

Ok. Bargain basement definition of art from Wikipedia: 'Art is the product or process of deliberately arranging items (often with symbolic significance) in a way that influences and affects one or more of the senses, emotions, and intellect.'

Do you still think that the piece from Bob Law is not art under that criteria?

Ok. Bargain basement definition of art from Wikipedia: 'Art is the product or process of deliberately arranging items (often with symbolic significance) in a way that influences and affects one or more of the senses, emotions, and intellect.'

Do you still think that the piece from Bob Law is not art under that criteria?

Is me tidying my bedroom? Clearly that definition doesn't work and I don't think you can define what makes something art which is why its subjective.

Clearly me tidying my bedroom could win the turner prize but that doesn't make it art.

Was going to start a new thread (after going off on a tangent when arguing about page 3 girls) but this will do! This angered me:

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/877093-blank-canvas-set-to-fetch-60-000-at-auction

:rant:now that is not art! It isn't thought provoking! Its a pretentious joke!

I think it looks better in landscape mode.

Is me tidying my bedroom? Clearly that definition doesn't work and I don't think you can define what makes something art which is why its subjective.

Clearly me tidying my bedroom could win the turner prize but that doesn't make it art.

But we do talk about the art of home-making. Through gritted teeth if you're me.

The definition's not perfect, true, but I'm with JFKvsNixon - just because you don't like it doesn't make it not art.

I think it is quite acceptable to dismiss things as art based on my opinion. Otherwise you have to accept that everything is art and I just don't. I am not going to accept everything other people tell me.

Maybe to some everything is an art form in some way or another. I'd accept both their right to believe this, and my opinion that everything isn't a form of art in one way or another. We would both be right, as we are talking about our own opinions, and art is about all about opinions is it not?

One thing is for sure, if we all held the same opinion on art, we'd live in a boring world.

He was also rumoured to be Herr Flick's younger brother, Quick Flick.

I’m still not following you, are you trying to imply something about Brian Sewell? Because if you are I’ll have to ask you to step outside.

On an unrelated topic, did you know Brian Sewell is gay?

Its the emporers new clothes!

The Emporer's New Clothes are a metaphor for sycophancy, and people not having the courage of one's convictions. Your analogy doesn't even work because this piece of art is obvious that nothing exists, and it is just a border.

I like it, for I like these things on principle. Any piece of work that is powerful enough to illicit a reaction, even a severely negative one, is fine by me.

A contradiction, surely. If it's won an art prize then it is art.

You seemed to imply that because I can't name any art critics I'm not in a position to talk about how art criticism is riddled with people who don't know what they're doing, I was simply pointing out that I can by using homeopaths as an example.

Here is one example that took me literally 10 seconds to find, seriously, google is your friend, there are plenty more.

Not a child or animal in evidence there,

And your test was a piece of cake - 100%.

Archived